Apolyton: help me build a computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton: help me build a computer.

i intend on purchasing a new PC at the end of summer. i wish to be able to assemble it myself, and probably purchase most if not all of the parts via Newegg.com. i would like something intel-based (core2 duo), and something that will be a cost-efficient state of the art a 4-5 months from now.

thanks.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

RAM prices are dropping, so it's a good time to buy (I had to pay $200 for 2 1gb DDR2 800 sticks ).

C2D is good (C2Q may be cost-efficient, if not thermally efficient, in a few months )and go with an nVidia 680-based motherboard. nVidia also has an 8600 (DX10) card out, or you can go with a cheaper one and wait until later this year on DX10 (which is what I did).
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The 8600GT is OK, but still naff. 8600GTS is god awful. 8800 GTS is great bang for the buck though, I would suggest that. 8800GTX is fast as ****, but expensive as well. However, the ATI 2900XT comes out this months, so I would put off until the benchmarks come out for that (from what I hear it doesn't look so hot, but I'm still not 100% sure, because of teh way AMD-ATI have handled the media blackout)

Supposedly by Q3 the prices of Core 2 Quad processors are going to be about 20-25% of what they are now. If that is the case I would defiantely wait and get one of them. Also, that would mean the next AMD proccessor is out, something else to look at.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

:shrug: Will Core 2 Quad CPUs be even worth it this year? Most software still isn't able to take advantage of four cores. Would it not be most cost-effective to wait another year until more software takes advantage of it and buy a faster quad-core then?
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            RAM prices are dropping, so it's a good time to buy (I had to pay $200 for 2 1gb DDR2 800 sticks ).
            RAM prices seem to have dropped _at least_ 50% in the last 3 months. I also bough RAM 3 months ago.
            http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

You still won't need a DX10 card for quite a while. You can get a x1950xt for $180... I wouldn't recommend spending more than that right now. By the end of the summer there should be more DX10 options. Depending on your needs (games?) the x1950xt might be a lot of overkill though.

Processor: C2D E4300 $116... if you need more juice they basically all overclock to near 3GHz on stock cooling, at which point it performs as about as well as the most expensive processors on the market. The multiplier is high (9x) so you can overclock on a slow FSB. Because of this you can get by with rather cheap RAM (DDR667) and don't need a state of the art MB either. Really no reason to buy any other processor at this point.

Motherboard... The P965 chipset is still the way to go for C2D if you can find one with the features you want. 680's cost roughly 2x as much, and unless you're really pushing an overclock won't perform much, if any, better. I really like my GA-P965-DS3, and the DS that I bought for my brother works well too. Both had no problem running an E4300 at 3GHz. The main drawback on the boards is no SLI (which is pointless most of the time) or Firewire (which would really be nice to have, but an addin card can provide it for $10).

RAM... you can get 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667 for ~$80. DDR2 800 isn't much more, and doesn't make much difference in the vast majority of applications. (I'd buy the RAM ASAP, as prices have had a tendancy to bounce back up over the summer the last few years. They really can't fall much lower than they are, so it's not much risk. If you want to keep your options more open, go with the DDR2 800.)

All of this can (and probably will) change by the end of summer... so ask when you're ready to start buying. (But buy the RAM now...)

Comment

Solver, depends what you run. I use my PC as the hub for everything; TV, music centre, surround sound hooked up to it, teamspeak and CIV. Right now I'm getting by on an AMD 3800+ X2, 2 gig ram and an 7600GT overclocked. Emphassis on getting by. But by teh end of summer most of the prices will have drpped and AMD/ATI will have brought out their stuff forcing both companies to lower prices. Maybe the C2Q will be OTT, but it isn't going to be out dated any time soon either, and with the prices I've seen posted for C2Q they look like being an absolute steal for the perfomance.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Um... what C2Q prices are you talking about Krill? The cheapest I can find are over $500...

Comment

Gee, and there's me thinking I am making good use of my PC. Then again, I don't really watch TV, don't have a separate music center or surround sound...

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      don't have a separate music center or surround sound...
                      How do you live?
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Good use of PC = games & pr0n.
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

How do you live?
                          I actually can't imagine what I would use a separate music center for, I've got my music on my computer anyway.

Comment

But you can play the music through the music center

Comment

Which is better exactly why ?

Comment

Working...
                              X