Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway rules against Apple DRM

http://www.out-law.com/page-7691

Apple's digital rights management lock on its iPod device and iTunes software is illegal, the Consumer Ombudsman in Norway has ruled. The blow follows the news that consumer groups in Germany and France are joining Norway's action against Apple.

The Norwegian Consumer Council, Forbrukerradet, lodged a complaint with the Ombudsman on behalf of Norwegian consumers claiming that the Fairplay DRM system acted against the interests of consumers. It said that the fact that the technology stopped songs bought from iTunes being played on any player other than an iPod broke the law in Norway.

The Ombudsman has now agreed, according to Torgeir Waterhouse, senior advisor at the Consumer Council.

"It doesn't get any clearer than this. Fairplay is an illegal lock-in technology whose main purpose is to lock the consumers to the total package provided by Apple by blocking interoperability," Waterhouse told OUT-LAW.COM. "For all practical purposes this means that iTunes Music Store is trying to kill off one the most important building blocks in a well functioning digital society, interoperability, in order to boost its own profits."

Waterhouse said that the Ombudsman has written to Apple to say that it believes that Apple's Fairplay system is illegal. "iTunes Music Store must remove its illegal lock-in technology or appear in court," he said. "As of right now we're heading for a big breakthrough that will hopefully pave the way for consumers everywhere to regain control of music they legally purchase."

The Consumer Council believes that Apple has only three options: it can license Fairplay to any manufacturer that wants iTunes songs to play on its machines; it can co-develop an open standard with other companies; or it can abandon DRM altogether.

The Ombudsman has also backed the Consumer Council's claim that the DRM technology is not simply a copy protection scheme. The Council had argued that in restricting consumers' use of music so heavily the technology broke contract law in Norway.

"The Ombudsman has confirmed our claim that the DRM must be considered part of the contract terms and not a copy protection scheme only," said Waterhouse. "This means that under the Norwegian Marketing Control Act the DRM must provide balanced and fair rights to the consumer when they purchase music form iTunes Music Store and similar download services."

"Apple is aware of the concerns we've heard from several agencies in Europe and we're looking forward to resolving these issues as quickly as possible,” Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr told AP news agency earlier this week. “Apple hopes that European governments will encourage a competitive environment that lets innovation thrive, protects intellectual property and allows consumers to decide which products are successful.”

This could get very, very interesting.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Why? Who cares what Norway thinks?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Drake, they have oil.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Which makes them slightly more important than Finland, but still irrelevant on a global scale.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You'll make a good strategist, pissing on consumer market because it 'pissed you off'
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Norway will be the first pebble of the lanslide.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

A potential landslide would matter. This ruling does not.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Other European countries will follow suit.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

No they aren't going to be, because they don't matter. Drake is right. I mean, Norway, when the big wave comes and kills them all, we'll be like 'OK I guess the wave thing was serious, let's build them protecting things'.

We won't move unless Norwegians die. And even then it is to go 'oh.. ok'. That is how little they matter. Name one Norwegian? You can't! I can, but you can't...

Name Norwegian company? Name Norwegian ANYTHING?

There is nothing. They might as well just disappear. It would give us some nice parking space in their little fjords, we'll blow them up with Swedes though.. these people could vanish and we'd just take their rocks. We don't need rocks, but you know, why not?
                  In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                    Other European countries will follow suit.
                    Yeah, Germany and France are jumping on board.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I can name one: Statoil. There you go

Comment

Hey, here's a real person also: Bjorne Åekäeösfälderige. He makes bread.

I'm sorry if this is offensive, but these are only facts..
                        In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Name Norwegian company? Name Norwegian ANYTHING?
                          Opera (the browser)

Oh, and Knute Rockne .

Comment

Opera is pretty cool, but you wouldn't mention it if you knew how the company got started. You wouldn't even use Opera for a second if you knew.
                            In da butt.

Comment

Mayhem, Emperor & Burzum
                              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb ! :doitnow!:
                              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                              X