No announcement yet.

NFL 2018 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of 49er defections, it appears that Ben will be drafting Stevie Johnson this August...

The San Diego Chargers have signed WR Stevie Johnson, formerly of the 49ers, to a three-year, $10.5 million contract.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Here is one of the rules proposed to the Rules Committee today:

"The Indianapolis Colts proposed a scenario that gives teams that successfully convert a 2-point conversion the chance to immediately add another point with a "bonus field goal.''

Under the Colts' proposal, if a team converts a 2-point conversion it would then line up from the 32-yard line to attempt a 50-yard field goal. If the kick is good, the team would receive a total of nine points on that possession -- six for the touchdown, two for the 2-point try and a point for the extra field goal."

I'm not a fan of the two point conversion and this just makes no sense. If you make the two point conversion you just got rewarded for it. Why should there be a "bonus"?

Comment

It's a stupid idea.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The proposal was to try to get teams to go for 2 more often.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

...And to expand the "one-score game" conversation to include 9-point games.

And yes, it's a stupid idea.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

This is what I have been thinking they should do even before free agency started. Moving down and getting extra picks is the right way to go.

Comment

Finally saw this long-overdue news...

The Wall Street Journal reports the NFL will no longer black out non-sold out games on local television for the 2015 season.

Per reporter Kevin Clark, the league will "evaluate how it goes after the season," but it's hard to see this policy coming back. It's been under fire for years — including from Richard Nixon — and was under attack in Congress as recently as December. It's an outdated policy for a game driven by television ratings.

Mar 23 - 2:22 PM

Comment

So what do my fellow Bears fans think of the McDonald signing?
                  I was quite surprised.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

He'd better be squeaky clean and very, very good at his job.

Not a fan.

Comment

Normally I'd say that everyone deserves a second chance, but it looks like he's already had more than that.
                      Squeaky, Squeaky, Squeaky clean.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                        The proposal was to try to get teams to go for 2 more often.
                        I'd be more intrigued if teams had to pick between:
                        1) Kick from 12-yard line (1pt)
                        2) Kick from 32-yard line (2pts)
                        3) Run a play from 2-yard line (2pts)

Comment

Screw all that. The current 2-pt PAT is a sufficient option. These new proposals are just coaches' wet dreams. Not every game needs to hang in the balance in the final minute. Sometimes it's best to let the winning team just...win. Who wants to see an inferior team win because they have an unstoppable goal-line offense? Not me.

These proposals would not make the game more compelling. Instead, they would trivialize overall strategy and tactics by attempting to force parity into situations where it should not exist.

IMHO.

Comment

Generally agree. The only upside would be that when you got an '8' in a box pool you wouldn't feel as disappointed.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The Colts withdrew their preposterous 9-point scoring proposal before it went to a vote. Surprise, surprise...

Still, I think moving the PAT-kick back 10-15 yards is interesting. In the spirit of "nothing is permanent" (i.e. they can always revert back to the old situation the following season), I think it's worth trying out.

Comment

I've changed my mind.
                                I think the Cowboys are going all-in, will sign Peterson and try
                                to win it all this year.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X