Clear All

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    ROBBEN!!!

2-1 Netherlands!

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    1-1 at the half for Spain and Netherlands!

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Surprised the Mexicans beat Cameroon. They looked so horrid in qualifying!

Leave a comment:

• Dauphin
    replied
    I see the ref was wearing yellow for that penalty.

Leave a comment:

• kentonio
    replied
    Equalizer felt jammy! Neymar probably deserved a red earlier.

Leave a comment:

• kentonio
    replied
    Croatia have some excellent players, they get underestimated far too often.

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    YIKES!! Own Goal off Marcello - Croatia are up 1-0!

Leave a comment:

• kentonio
    replied
    Only 15 minutes to go!!!

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    You can't do that against quality European teams? You mean... how Donovan did it in the 2002 World Cup (where he also received the FIFA Best Young Player Award)?

Or his efforts (including 3 goals in 4 games) in 2010 World Cup... granted two of those goals where against non-European squads, but he equipped himself quite well.

Interestingly enough, guess where Brazil's top goalkeeper players his league matches - yep, that's the MLS. And you can't tell me that Sunderland's Jozy Altidore is a better player than Seattle's Clint Dempsey (and Dempsey left the Premier League with his club - Fulham - desperately wanting him back).

Leave a comment:

• H Tower
    replied
    Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    After he took his sabbatical last year, he had a fantastic CONCACAF Gold Cup last year as well as some fantastic qualifying matches. Donovan is fine as far as playing shape goes compared to some of the turkies picked on the team, who likely won't even get in a match as a sub (I mean, you can't tell me that Julian Green is going to get more than 10 minutes of playing time in the tourney).
    I agree with you, I think he would have performed better than many of the players who were picked. What I don't agree with is Donovan's mastery of the game. He plays in MLS, which isn't in the same conversation as any of the top European leagues. He can dance around, dribble, take his sweet time in MLS. He did the same thing in the Gold Cup against Latin America's B teams. You can't do that against quality European teams.

Lets put it another way. Donovan's teammate, Robbie Keane has doubled his goals per game production since coming over from the Premier League. MLS is where aging Euro players come when they can't play in Europe anymore, and where US players who can't make it in Europe play. MLS is basically Euro Basketball.

If you don't play against the best, you can't be one of the best. How many times was Klinsmen quoted as saying that US players needed to be in Europe to develop? Maybe that's why there isn't a single US or MLS based player in the top 50 players in the world ranking.

The Julian Green inclusion is pure payment for agreeing to be a US player instead of German. That's a situation that may prove beneficial in WC's to come, but not this year.

Anyways, I think Donovan should have been on the team, but he did himself no favors in the run up to the selection of the 23 man squad.

Leave a comment:

• MattBarnes
    replied
    Hello everyone im back sorry too busy this past day

anyway if you dont mind i will make a prediction thread about FIFA World Cup 2014

so we can talk who,why and what you pick that team

have a nice day everyone

Leave a comment:

• OneFootInTheGrave
    replied
    Is there anyone to play in the predictions thread...

In the meantime Real European Champion again

Leave a comment:

• Tuberski
    replied
    Donovan runs like a duck.

ACK!

Leave a comment:

• Dauphin
    replied
    Is anyone running a predictions thread?

Will do it myself if there is interest but no organiser.

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    And you know, he's got fantastic soccer instincts which you may want to take advantage of if down 1 goal late in a game. I was watching the Galaxy v. Chivas USA game a few weeks back and while Donovan wasn't in A+ form, he had at least 3-4 moments of utter brilliance, one of which directly led to a goal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X