Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They probably will - with the exception of win bonues as presumably they won't be an issue.

As Sarries launch their rather silly defence of their coach for flashing v's to the Tigers stands and standing in his seat they should consider this - any Tigers member who stood in his seat obstructing the view of those behind would have been ejected from the ground on the spot.

Opposition coaches can sit in the dugout or in the stands - but sit is the operative word for the stands.

And making obscene gestures to players and coaches carries the same sanction. I love that the displinary panel criticised him for not understanding the seriousness of what he had done - clearly in RSA different protocols apply to the game.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Cripes, who would be a Toulouse supporter? Never have I seen a team conjure so many ways to try to lose a match they should have strolled in. A very French performance!

In S14, predictably, the final is between two Bok outfits. The Bulls and Stormers were far and away the best two teams of the season. The final is fitting.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Toulouse should really have scored at least a try. They wasted many opportunities. I think their wingers are getting a bit old. With the advantage they had in scrum and in the centers, they should have managed more than a few drop goals.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Cedric wouldn't have flubbed the pass that Maxine did!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Medard isn't having a great season, and he's a full back, not a winger.

I saw most of Toulon-Cardiff. Too bad Wilkinson hurt himself again. He could have made Toulon win, but I hope it's not too serious.
            Still, Toulon made a nice show in the end of the match. Useless, btu nice to watch.
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• How did the Kiwi Sonny Boy Williams go? The All Blacks seem to be keen to get him on board.

I shall be absent for a week. Back to the dreaded Australia for meetings on the script I'm writing.

Comment

• On the plus side you will miss the Premeirship final.

Good luck in Oz.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Sonny Boy Williams was one of the best on the pitch. He played very well, always dangerous ball in hand. He crosses the advantage line quite often and scored a nice try.

Comment

• Hahaha, Charlie will be playing again for England

Comment

• I wouldn't get too excited - they always pick an understrength side for the baa-baas game as it is played a day after the Premiership final and a few days before the summer tour leaves.

Still it will be interesting to see if he can tackle better now (or at all).

Comment

• Clermont is now France champion for the first time after 10 (or 11?) lost finals in its history, and 3 lost finals in a row.
                        Deserved victory. I'm quite happy as the team isn't a mercenary team like Toulon or the Racing but a team where most players staid for several years, and many players come from the club training center (well, many, there are still aa south african, and australian, a pair of argentinans).
                        However, a single try scored in this final, and a single try in the HCup final, this is a bit weak. Despite promising moves when Clermont sent the ball wide, they opened maybe 5 or 6 times in the whole match, so obviously they weren't going to score much. Toulouse tried more last week, but without sucess. Maybe Toulouse changing trainer (Elissalde will train the backs now) will help Toulouse next year?
                        Still, French rugby looks a bit weak in the backs department this year. It showed in the tournament against England.

Comment

• Congratulations to Clermont.

Tigers are English Champions again after beating Saracens in a very enjoyable game.

And Ospreys beat Leinster to take the Celtic League - the controversy over their defered point deduction takes nothing away from the acheivement of downing the Dubliners colours.

I didn't see the S14 final - anyone know if Bulls were worthy winners?

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                            I didn't see the S14 final - anyone know if Bulls were worthy winners?
                            Undoubtedly I'd say.

They dominated the forwards (shock) and the first half. Stormers were better in the second half but I don't think they ever really threatened overall control of the game.

Deserved winners of the whole competition as well.

Comment

• As I'm visiting my parents, I got to see the England Vs Barbarians game today as recored by my dad's Sky+.

It was an enjoyable game to watch, but ultimately one where England were superior, despite a very talented Barbarians team.

What was very evident was that the substitutions that were made for England (some for injury) weakened the team considerably, whilst the Barbarian substitutions considerably strengthened their team.

Hodgson was mixed, quite a nervy start combined with some excellent passing and kicking from hand. Nothing significant in defense, either positive or negative (Sackey's try wasn't his fault).

I was very impressed by Golding, first time I've seen him play and he coped well with Rush's charge. Pity he got injured, but he is a real talent.

However, it was Cueto that stood out for me most of all, always competent, but also very dangerous beating many defenders and setting up new attacks. He is easily the most consistently good rugby player I've seen, it is just a shame he doesn't have Heymans pace...boo!

Other significant positives for England include Thompson who is just a man amongst boys when compared to light-weights such as Mears and Tindall who again knows the game so well and is physically able to draw in tacklers or to tackle anything that comes his way. Both these guys seem to be in great shape and whose experience does much to solidify the team.

Sackey wasn't too bad either

In terms of weaknesses...you've Johnson's substitutions, Tait isn't anywhere near form, Payne doesn't contribute enough to the team to warrant selection and Danny Care just isn't good enough.

Anyhow, very enjoyable game, pity about the substitutions and that the barbarians didn't bring their A game in the first half.

Comment

• Thanks Frozzy. Bok rugby seems to be in rude Health. Wales will no doubt be delighted that is the case.

An interesting sumamry koc - lots to agree with but I have to say Cueto is not the most consistently good rugby player I have seen. Unless we are talking just about Sale in the last two seasons?

Comment

Working...
                                X