No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 09/10 (II): We're very perverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here play goal? Downgoesbrown has some useful advice.

Friday, December 4, 2009
    Signs your teammates are trying to kill you

The hockey world is still buzzing about the Keith Ballard/Tomas Vokoun incident. And while teammates injuring teammates isn't rare, this one was more blatant than most.

Understandably, that has NHL goalies worried. After all, Vokoun can't be the only goaltender in the league whose teammates are plotting his demise.

NHL goalies must be thinking: What if I'm next?

Here's the good news: While attempted goaltender murder is common, there are always warning signs. You just need to know where to look. So if you're an NHL goaltender, review this list carefully. It could be a matter of life and death.

Signs your teammates are trying to kill you
    •Your blocker is ticking.

•During games against the Predators, whenever you call someone over and try to whisper about defensive strategy he loudly responds "Dude, that's a horrible thing to say about Wade Belak's mom!"

•Every time you fall asleep on a team flight, you wake up tied to a fire hydrant at the end of Tiger Woods' driveway.

•Your crease now includes a chalk outline.

•The team hasn't acquired any forwards lately, but everyone keeps whispering about when the new sniper will get there.

•While sitting at home watching the ESPYs, you notice your photo in the dead athletes montage.

•Upon leaving the ice after a win you're immediately greeted by an eight-foot panther, but you don't play for Florida.

•While watching an NBC broadcast, they invite you to play a drinking game called "Have a shot of tequila every time Pierre McGuire says 'Monster'".

•When you ask a teammate whether he thinks the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup during your lifetime he says "No, but then neither will anybody else."

•They suggest replacing the traditional pre-game ritual of "stick tap across the pads" with a new version called "skate blade across the adam's apple".

•During a meeting with NHLPA reps to discuss the CBA, every question is about how the unsolved murder of the goaltender would impact the salary cap.

•That new guy they keep inviting out to practice looks suspiciously like Steve Tuttle.

•Eklund just reported that your teammates are definitely not trying to kill you.

•In post-game interviews they say things like "We just need to take it one game at a time, stay within ourselves, and try not to do too much. And also, we need to kill that guy over there."

•Your name is Vesa Toskala.

•Whenever you ask someone for a lift home, they say "I'm not heading in that direction, but maybe you can get a ride with Dany."
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Anyone else just see Kipper's amazing heel-kick save vs SJ?

Will YouTube it when I see it.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Save of the year candidate.

The best part is he was looking at it. It wasn't a fluke.

In the zone.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• It's already on YouTube.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• ok-- so this is the Flames team we expected before the season began. Against LA they were actually pretty great defensively but scoring failed them. That was the pre-season prediction-- great defense with not enough offence. a very good but not quite great team. Despite losing 2 of the last 3, Sutter is probably reasonably pleased with his team's effort
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• wow -- another great goalie night-- In auction, my Miller/Mason combo scored two shutouts !! Has that ever happened before for anyone?

If my freaking offense could start up, maybe I can even take the week.So far the offensive categories are very very close with the largest current margin in any category being 2.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I need Datsyuk to get his ass in gear for both my 'poly teams. Talk about a bust so far, along with Detroit in general.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• I like Datsyuk as a player, and I'd love him on the Flames, but I'd just never, ever consider drafting him in a fantasy league. Just something about him rubs me the wrong way as a fantasy hockey player.

Comment

• What, the ridiculously good stats he's put up over the last 4 years?
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

• Clearly I was on to something, given this year. He's a great two-way player, which doesn't necessarily translate well into fantasy points. He's done terrifically well in the past several years as a result of the team's play, not necessarily his own.

I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying he's usually picked way too early for me in most drafts and I've always been hesitant to draft him.

Comment

• After hating it earlier, I am now moderately content with my draft team. After some early worries both Iggy and Kipper have started to perform like first rounders. Then identifying Penner early solidified my left wing which was a very sore point.

Datsyuk? I always considered him pretty solid but I have never targetted him and typically would drop him down a few spots in my own rankings compared to yahoo defaults largely since I would be moving a few wingers ahead of centres in the rankings. It wasn't personal and his 21 points to date isn't exactly terrible (and his PP production is actually very good). Its just for me Malkin and Crosby were the only centres I would have wanted to draft ahead of say Iggy. I wouldn't criticize the pick* but 4th overall was early for what I thought

*hell I am not criticizing anyone's picks too much given that I only have 6 of my original 14 players still on the roster and Vanek and Barker are not exactly covering themselves with glory

Comment

• I'm in the same boat, Flubber.

Datsyuk is a clear 2nd rounder for me. I'd take him if no one else has by then, but he's ALWAYS gone way before that.

Comment

• Obviously I disagree with the assessment since I drafted him, but everyone has their own strategies.

Anyway, this led me to consider who have been the steals of the draft so far. I think I've got a couple with Kopitar at 76th (though he seems to be cooling off right now) and Kaberle at 165th (top steal right now?). Asher had a great one with Brad Richards at 139th. And the undrafted pick-up of the year so far clearly has to be Penner.
                            Last edited by Kontiki; December 10, 2009, 17:05.

Comment

• I'm partial to my Patrick Marleau pick at 54th overall, and Stastny (32pts in 33 games) at 127th. And the Brad Richards one at 139th.

Kopitar (36 pts in 32 games, +2) at 76th pales in comparison to the Stastny (32 pts in 33 games, +7) at 127th, I think. Though Kopitar has more PPG/PPA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki View Post
                                And the undrafted pick-up of the year so far clearly has to be Penner.

The sad part is that Penner is my #3 LW in auction so I miss out on some of his production. But he is my proudest pickup. I am hoping for a similar surprise producer in Tomas Fleischmann .. . time will tell

As for biggest steal I would go with Kopitar if I am adding in some idea of being a surprise as part of it. Statsny . . . I expected him to do precisely as he is doing (and snatched him in both my non-poly yahoo leagues). I wanted him in our leagues too but Asher snapped him up just before I would have in a move that was one of my biggest disappointments in the draft. I miscalculated how long he would stay available.

But purely on production compared to draft position, Statsny is the guy from among the drafted.

Comment

Working...
                                X