Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XX: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    I wonder if Europe will cave in on itself if England, France, Spain and Germany fail to make it out of the first round.
    Collective whining

And Germany was robbed!
    Blah

Comment

• So far, England's results have matched the 1990 World Cup where they got a semi-final spot.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Tough luck for the Aussies. He moved his arm slightly but it looked more protective than deliberate to me.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
          And Germany was robbed!
          Two yellows equals a red. This can happen when you foul people.

Then Germany missed a penalty. This does't happen to Germany so I understand how difficult it must be for you.

Jurgen Klinsman is a very good pundit on the BBC, btw.

Comment

• and those yellows were WELL deserved!
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
              So far, England's results have matched the 1990 World Cup where they got a semi-final spot.
              True, but that side still retained Englands one and only prolific international goal scorer, Gary Lineker.

This time we have nobody. Maybe we can anglicize some of the african strikers before the next match.
              Last edited by SpencerH; June 19, 2010, 11:16.

Comment

• For those not lucky enough to be watching the world cup on ESPN here's an example of the brilliant reparte.

Brit announcer: apparently Mark Schwarzer has worn the same shin pads since 1992

pause

Brit announcer: not that he's superstitious or anything (sarcastic)

American flunky: oh many players are superstitious (serious)

I've taken to listening to the mexican channel

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                  Jurgen Klinsman is a very good pundit on the BBC, btw.
                  Interesting that there are still some Englishmen who think that Klinsi has any clue at all.
                  "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

• What?
                    Formations by the numbers that should work.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Oh, and Ben trying to discuss formations was right now (a "standard" 3-4-3?!)
                      I caught the game in the barbershop yesterday. They were playing a 3-4-3.

Standard as opposed to the English formation, with Gerrard as both halfback and forward.

You do know I played soccer for 5 years? I was Left Fullback on two championship squads.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Australia deserved to beat Ghana.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                          So far, England's results have matched the 1990 World Cup where they got a semi-final spot.
                          Just to put this in current context with the media furore, the Sun ran the following headline during the Group Stages of the 1990 world cup: "The Sun speaks its mind: Bring Them Home".

Though having said that, they also ran the following headline at the end of the tournament: "Around Gazza and his young gang we can build a team to rule the world. Four years on, remember you read it first in The Sun."... and then they didn't qualify

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                          Tough luck for the Aussies. He moved his arm slightly but it looked more protective than deliberate to me.
                          Doesn't matter whether it was accidental or deliberate in this case. It hit the arm and prevented a goal scoring opportunity, which is a professional foul and a straight red.

Comment

• @ France.

France striker Nicolas Anelka has been sent home from South Africa after a foul-mouthed outburst at the coach Raymond Domenech

Not surprising to see le sulk do something so idiotic. He's only 31 as well, not like he's well and truly past it. Supposedly he's retired from international football as well, FWIW given the FFA surely would never pick him again.

Comment

• le sulk just started early, the rest of the french press and population will follow with similar comments in a few days
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Tweet I got today:

#ENG team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today "It's heartbreaking to see their sad faces with no hope" said Jamal aged 6
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X