No announcement yet.

The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its not that shocking actually. the Tsn and sportsnet commentators have pretty much put him in there as one of the 6-7 absolutely "must be there" type guys and in orientation he was matched with Nash and Crosby (two other "cannot miss" on almosts all the pundits lists.
    Agree with Nash and Crosby. But why not run them with Toews? I think Iginla is fine on the second line.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Did you watch the 2002 games at all, Ben...

There's a reason why Iginla is favoured on the top line.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
        And the NHLPA head got fired.

Easily the news of the day.

Get the popcorn ready. We're going to need it when the league is shut down again...
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Did you watch the 2002 games at all, Ben...
          Remind me, was Gretzky the captain back then?

There's a reason why Iginla is favoured on the top line.
          8 years is a long time ago.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• The 2002 squad, 6 players are under consideration to make the team this year, 3 defensemen, a goalie, and one other forward, Ryan Smyth. We all know that defensemen on average play longer than forwards and goalies longest of all. All are either over 1000 games, or very close. Only two players on the squad, Gagne and Brewer are nowhere near a thousand games.

Jarome Iginla- Active (942 games)
            Martin Brodeur - Active (999 games)
            Rob Blake - Active (1200 games)
            Chris Pronger- Active (1022 games)
            Scott Niedermayer - Active (1183 games)
            Ryan Smyth - Active (920 games)

9 others are in decline.

Ed Jovanovski- Active
            Simon Gagné- Active (606 games) *
            Eric Brewer - Active, (623 games) *
            Mike Peca- Active
            Owen Nolan- Active, but injured for 30 games.
            Adam Foote - Active, Played half the season
            Brendan Shanahan - Active, played a third of season
            Paul Kariya- Played 11 games last season
            Curtis Joseph- Played 5 games last season

8 others are retired.

Mario Lemieux- Retired
            Joe Nieuwendyk - Retired
            Theo Fleury - Retired
            Ed Belfour - Retired
            Steve Yzerman- Retired
            Joe Sakic- Retired
            Al MacInnis - Retired
            Eric Lindros - Retired

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              Agree with Nash and Crosby. But why not run them with Toews? I think Iginla is fine on the second line.
              1st line, second line, whats the big difference. As soon as you acknowledge that someone is "fine for the second line" on a team as stacked as team Canada, you have pretty much said that they are good as a first liner too. Who plays with who at the actual Games will mostly depend on chemistry among the individuals but its actually pretty silly to get drawn into a distinction as to whether a player will be first line or second line on team Canada

As for Toews-- good player but its a team of good players. I expect the coaching staff to ride the hot hand and mix and match based on who is playing well. Hell it would not surprise me if a line we annoint as the "3rd line" started getting the most ice time and PP time if they really start clicking
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• As soon as you acknowledge that someone is "fine for the second line" on a team as stacked as team Canada, you have pretty much said that they are good as a first liner too
                Do I think he's in the top 6? Yes. Do I think he's in the top 3? No.

Comment

• Umm, I'm not a super knowledgeable hockey fan, but even I know that you don't just put your top 3 guys on one line without regards to their individual skills...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Then why does the argument for Iginla revolve around his performance in 2002?

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      Umm, I'm not a super knowledgeable hockey fan, but even I know that you don't just put your top 3 guys on one line without regards to their individual skills...
                      QFT

As well even if your top 3 players skills did mesh well you might still put one of them on the second line to create even more of a scoring line
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Then why does the argument for Iginla revolve around his performance in 2002?
                        I didn't make that argument-- Mine is simply that he should qualify as a solid memeber of the top lines and as such placing him with Crosby and Nash could make sense. But if he clicks better elsewhere in the lienup its all good.

The 2002 argument however would run that he was a n elite, even a dominant performer as a late addition to the 2002 squad and has thus 'proven" he can perform at that level. Combine that with his consistent strong play of recent years and you have a good reason to at least give him the very best opportunity to play at that level again by placing him with the best/most suitable linemates possible.

Toews who you suggested is a very good player but has no real proven international pedigree. He may emerge as the star of the event but he's probably not the guy you pencil in for first line ice time right from the outset. That must make sense even to you .

Comment

• Iginla's leadership and grit made the difference in 2002. The combo with Nash and Crosby is appealing because of their different styles.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• But he's an old man now.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                              But he's an old man now.
                              Ancient-- yet even using his walker he managed to be the highest scoring right wing last year

Comment

• But Corey Perry had a better +/-, so he has to be ranked higher, right?

(\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X