The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
    So Hossa's deal with Chicago is now under NHL investigation.

And Pronger's.

Seems the Flyers screwed up by their surprise that the contract is covered by the 35+ clause.

NHL: Hmm, why would that be a surprise, and why an issue?

It sounds like they are going to nail Chicago and Philly if early retirement was discussed.

IMO, they should have started this long ago with some of the other deals that have unrealastically low salary at the end of long contracts for aging players.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
      The league doesn't want Chicago to lose in the Finals?
      at least not for the next 12 years
      they probably want to make sure Hossa moves around a little bit, so other teams have a chance at losing in the Finals
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
        And Pronger's.

Seems the Flyers screwed up by their surprise that the contract is covered by the 35+ clause.

NHL: Hmm, why would that be a surprise, and why an issue?

It sounds like they are going to nail Chicago and Philly if early retirement was discussed.

IMO, they should have started this long ago with some of the other deals that have unrealastically low salary at the end of long contracts for aging players.
        I was reading an article the other day that blamed Sutter for this trend, with his Kiprusoff contract which was the first of this kind.

His salary went 8.5 -> 7 -> 7 -> 6 -> 5 -> 1.5, cap hit of 5.83M.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I was thinking of Kiprusoff's deal. I think it was also discussed at the time that he didn't intend to play that long.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
            I was reading an article the other day that blamed Sutter for this trend, with his Kiprusoff contract which was the first of this kind.

His salary went 8.5 -> 7 -> 7 -> 6 -> 5 -> 1.5, cap hit of 5.83M.
            As long as the salary cap is an AVERAGE that doesn't weight at all the time value implicit in paying earlier, these types of things will be possible. I don't see Kipper's deal as being outrageous or anything and it is likely that he would play even beyond the current term of his contract.

The problem is that if front-loading is legitimate and allowed if the term is well within the expected career length of the player but not if there is some expectation or plan that the last years of the contract will NOT be performed, you get in a situation of trying to assess the liklihood that a player will actually play, 6-10 years from now.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
              I'm really starting to wonder about Balsille. He can't seem to get along with anyone else.
              Attached Files
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Did someone throw a hex on the Blackhawks?

Hawks' Kane arrested for robbing, assaulting cab driver
                TSN.ca Staff
                8/9/2009 4:45:54 PM

Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane and his cousin were arrested early Sunday morning for assaulting and robbing a cab driver in Buffalo.

According to a police report, the 20-year-old Kane and his cousin James M. Kane, 21, were arrested around 5am et after allegedly punching the cabbie after he said he did not have proper change for their trip fare.

The report says the cab fare was $13.80 and the Kanes handed the driver $15. He claims he had only $1 change and was not in possession of another twenty cents to give back. According to the police report, both Kanes took their money back and punched the cabbie in the face and head. Police spokesman Michael DeGeorge said that the driver suffered cuts to his face, as well as damage to his glasses.

Both men have been charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services.

The NHL is working with the local police department in trying to assemble the details, while NHLPA Executive Director Paul Kelly and NHLPA Director of Player Affairs Glenn Healy are also gathering information on the case.

Kane's agent, Pat Brisson, did not comment on the situation, but Blackhawks spokesman Brandon Faber said the team is aware of the allegations against their star right winger.

"He is a big part of our organization and a team leader and we stand behind him," said Faber. "As we are still collecting all the facts, it would be premature to comment further at this time."

Kane, a Buffalo native, had attended a press conference with Mayor Byron Brown to announce funding for a local rink just days before the arrest.

Buffalo's WIVB-TV is reporting that an attorney for the Kanes has entered a plea of not guilty in City court.

Kane was awarded the Calder Trophy as the NHL's top rookie after an impressive 2007-08 campaign, and registered 25 goals and 45 assists for 70 points last season with Chicago.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

• That Kane thing is just toooo weird-- First who doesn't just tip the driver a lousy buck-twenty?? and then the millionaire hockey player assaults someone over 20 cents??

Its beyond unbelievable yet obviously the police must think there is some merit to these allegations
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Maybe he was too drunk to remember he's a rich pro hockey player now?
                    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• I have to say that it obviously sounds like the guys were more than a bit soused. The 'robbery' charge is entirely bogus, though; there's no way they'd charge a regular guy with robbery over this sort of thing. Misdemeanor assault/battery and failing to pay for services rendered sound like exactly what happened here. The DA is just trying to get his name in the paper.

Either way, pretty stupid though. Just get a driver next time ...
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• UNblvbl
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Silly. Suprised that we haven't seen pictures taken in the bar prior.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• 20 cents? Just tip the damn driver.

We had a few like that when I did deliveries. Thankfully I usually had a reasonable float.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Kane's new nickname is '20 Cent'.

Also:
                              Whats the difference between Patrick Kane and a canoe?
                              A canoe tips.

As for him being a cheapass punk, need I remind anyone he is from Buffalo? If you've ever been there, you'd understand.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Working...
                                X