Penalty for Spitting in Soccer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalty for Spitting in Soccer?

Ok, on New Year's Eve I was over at a friend's families' house and we were playing "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" I just beat everyone's ass in this other trivia game and was all cocky about this game too.

Then, as a 3rd grade question, I was asked the following:

"True or False: If you spit on another player in soccer the other team gets a free shot on goal"

I said false cause I figured it would be a yellow or red card. But the answer on the card was true. I lost.

I'm still in disbelief though. Seems like a pretty extreme penalty for spitting. So I figure all you soccer/FIFA fans would know the answer or could direct me to a proper ruleset.

Thanks!
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

You're going to trust these people over the 5th graders?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Evil adults made the game.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Oh, that's true.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

FIFA rules:

Law 12 - Fouls & Misconduct

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:

Direct Free Kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
          kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
          trips or attempts to trip an opponent
          jumps at an opponent
          charges an opponent
          strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
          pushes an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following four offences:

tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball
          holds an opponent
          ***spits at an opponent***
          handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
          A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.

Asterisks added by yours truly.

Comment

Soccer people are really gross. They had to make a rule prohibiting it?

Comment

*sigh*

Guess I lost.

Still seems excessive.

Comment

Actually, that question is worded improperly. "Free shot on goal" != "Direct Free Kick". If the spitting occurs outside of the penalty area, it is not a "free shot on goal". Only if this occurs inside the penalty area does it become a shot on goal (though they can of course shoot it at the goal from outside the penalty area, but there will be a team's worth of people between them; shots in this manner are converted much less frequently than penalty kicks, which are just 1 on 1 with the goalie and are quite frequently converted).

I'd say that the statement was false, personally, but it's a bit of a gray area.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hmm, I don't quite remember the exact phrasing of the free kick.

Comment

Re: Penalty for Spitting in Soccer?

blue Card - 2 minute penalty (releasable if opposing team scores).2nd Blue Card to same player- Same as a yellow card.
                    Yellow Card - 3 minute penalty unreleasable.
                    2nd Yellow Card to same player - Same as a red card.
                    Red Card - 5 minute penalty unreleasable, player is out of the game. Player sits out a minimum of one game and more is possible, depending on severity of the infraction.
                    Cheap Reseller Webhosting -العاب بنات - منتديات - وصلات

Comment

Your soccer sucks... I fill your neck with phlegm:

Comment

Spitting on another player would be an instant Red Card plus extra disciplinary proceedings, and a free kick.

The confusion seems to be where the free kick is taken from, which is always at the point of the foul unless inside the penalty area, in which case a penalty is awarded - which might be the 'direct kick on goal' you're thinking of.
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

There's a rule that states that Manchester United players are exempt from the rule. It's the same as the rule that they get an automatic penalty when they are losing.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

"free shot on goal" is very ambiguous. It almost sounds like no-one, including the goalkeeper, can stand in the way.

A free kick would be the correct term to use.

Comment

Oh, and

Comment

Working...
                              X