Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it helps, what I've read by the Gurus would indicate that would/should be the Bears plan. OL, 1st round.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think every GURU (and even us fans) realize that they need to get help on the OL ASAP. The only question is, do the Bears Management see it

And yes, Angelo is FAR better in the later rounds than in the first round. It's pretty tough to make a mistake if you just take a strong OL in the first round
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
        I think every GURU (and even us fans) realize that they need to get help on the OL ASAP. The only question is, do the Bears Management see it

And yes, Angelo is FAR better in the later rounds than in the first round. It's pretty tough to make a mistake if you just take a strong OL in the first round
        Marc Colombo
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Columbo was the last O-lineman the Bears took in the first round. That was 2002.They also took guard Terry Metcalf in the 3rd round that year. I think that was Jerry Angelo's first draft with the Bears.

They have never drafted a ineman in the first three rounds since then. This year, they had to pay the toll for that negligence.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Bears 1st-rounders under Jerry Angelo

2007 - Greg Olsen, TE Miami (FL) -- could turn out great
            2006 - (none)
            2005 - Cedric Benson, RB Texas -- a disappointment
            2004 - Tommie Harris, DT Oklahoma -- All-Pro
            2003 - Michael Haynes, DE Penn State -- a bust
            2003 - Rex Grossman, QB Florida -- could've had Culpepper
            2002 - Marc Colombo, T Boston College -- injury-plagued with Bears, now starting in Dallas
            2001 - David Terrell WR Michigan -- bust
            Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 7, 2007, 11:48.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You don't necessarily have to draft an offensive linemen in the 1st Round. IIRC, the best offensive line in football, the Patriots don't really have high draft picks on that line (Matt Light was a 2nd Round pick.. everyone else is a 3rd rounder or later).
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Marc Colombo
                And we want you to know, we appreciate it.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                You don't necessarily have to draft an offensive linemen in the 1st Round. IIRC, the best offensive line in football, the Patriots don't really have high draft picks on that line (Matt Light was a 2nd Round pick.. everyone else is a 3rd rounder or later).
                It was just the last NFL draft when so many of you said OL in the 1st was the way to go. I said that was bull**** and was called an idiot because of it.

This is a good example of why I should ignore.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Depends on the player and the team, ya crazy varmint.

Joe Thomas, for example, was an absolutely wonderful pick. May be one of the best offensive linemen in the game already.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

If you desperately need a franchise quarterback and you've got a legitimate chance at selecting one, you do it.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar
                      If you desperately need a franchise quarterback and you've got a legitimate chance at selecting one, you do it.
                      Correct but it also doesnt matter how good he is, if no line to block for him, then he wont produce near his potential....
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand

And we want you to know, we appreciate it.
                        Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy his suckiness

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
                          It's pretty tough to make a mistake if you just take a strong OL in the first round
                          Robert Gallery anyone?

Comment

• Given our defense is not getting any younger or less injured, I'd rather take a young QB who can succeed in a year or two, and give him for support some quality older OL players...

Comment

• Well, our last two 1st round QBs were Rex Grossman and Cade McNown. Perhaps that will explain our skepticism.

This draft is very deep in both tackles and QBs, so it probably doesn't make a ton of difference. Unless we can somehow get Jake Long, the tackle from Michigan -- but he's projected in the top 5.

Top QB projections are Brian Brohm/Louisville and Matt Ryan BC first, then Andre Woodson/Kentucky. I don't know much about Woodson, but the others looks sweet. The thinking is that Atlanta will take Brohm (Petrino connection), but that Matt Ryan is probably the best overall prospect. I've seen 3 big boards where they're all gone by the 12th pick, but others say the last of them can go as late as 20th. But knowing the Bears, they'll pick just low enough to miss them all...

IMHO, if the Bears can retool the line, they can return to competitiveness immediately. If not, the defense will be old and slow by the time the offense is ready to compete. (Of course, you can argue that the defense has already started sucking, and statistically it's hard to argue with that.)

I just hope they're smart enough to use the last three games for proper talent evaluation. Turn Kyle Orton loose like in his rookie year preseason games. I want to see what Wolfe, Hester and Bradley can do. Plus Mike Hass, who was a lights-out receiver in preseason and has been stuck on the practice squad. Go ahead and play a bunch of smurfs with two good tight ends and a gunslinger QB. Let's see what we have.

Comment

• And maybe lose enough games to get a high draft pick?

Comment

Working...
                                X