X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrian
    replied
    Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
    The Sox really owe a lot to the Farm System for this year. With big money busts like Drew and Gagne, and the underperformance of other big money names, the Sox were helped by home-grown talents under the $500,000 mark (Papelbon, Lester, Buckholtz, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury) who stepped up and were the real stars of this team.
    Especially toward the end, there was indeed a good mix of the established stars and the young guns. I would say that the "real stars" include Manny, Ortiz, Beckett, Lowell, and other vets too, though.

I like the youth movement in Boston and the Bronx. Hopefully those guys - the ones you mentioned on the one hand and the Yankee young guns on the other - will duke it out for years to come.

One more thing, concerning the rookie of the year...
    Dustin Pedroia: the player people think David Eckstein is.

-Arrian

Leave a comment:

• MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian
    Congrats to the Red Sox & their fans.

-Arrian, who must now purchase his wife some sort of "2007 Red Sox: WS Champion" gear for Christmas. Sigh.
    Don't buy too soon - you might be able to get her an A-Rod jersey. (Though I hope not - I'd much rather keep Mikey)

I've got my Eastern Div champs gear and AL champs gear already, and WS champs gear on the way.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Shafer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ming
    The team will probably generate more money next year thanks to their successes this year, and they will spend it to keep their players. Hopefully they won't pull a "Marlins"
    Well, the team ownership is keeping about 50% of ticket revenues already, whereas most teams are about 25%, so I can't say I have a lot of faith in them.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• The Emperor Fabulous
    replied
    The Sox really owe a lot to the Farm System for this year. With big money busts like Drew and Gagne, and the underperformance of other big money names, the Sox were helped by home-grown talents under the $500,000 mark (Papelbon, Lester, Buckholtz, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury) who stepped up and were the real stars of this team.

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Shafer
    Congrats to Boston. They were clearly the better team, although I'm proud of what the Rockies were able to do. Hopefully they can come back and compete next year, although I wonder how long the team can be kept together with this kind of success and the 26th highest payroll...

Jon
    The team will probably generate more money next year thanks to their successes this year, and they will spend it to keep their players. Hopefully they won't pull a "Marlins"

Leave a comment:

• Jon Shafer
    replied
    Congrats to Boston. They were clearly the better team, although I'm proud of what the Rockies were able to do. Hopefully they can come back and compete next year, although I wonder how long the team can be kept together with this kind of success and the 26th highest payroll...

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Arrian
    replied
    Congrats to the Red Sox & their fans.

-Arrian, who must now purchase his wife some sort of "2007 Red Sox: WS Champion" gear for Christmas. Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Congratulations to the BoSox.

They were the big winners with Colorado and Fox being the BIG losers.

The networks usually need 5 or more games to make money... and that assumes average or better ratings.
    I don't think they got either

On to the hot stove league.

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Congrats to the Red Sox. Clearly the best team in MLB 2007, from start to finish. Very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Ninot
    replied
    Boston Red Sox

What an incredible year. I loved every second of it.

Leave a comment:

• MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Overmatched, yeah, but I don't feel sorry for them.

They're a young franchise, with some good vets and some good young players, and they had a great run. Winning the NL pennant ain't a bad way to end a season.

Streak and all, it was just unrealistic to consider this team a match for the Sox, but the Rockies had a great run.

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Feeling kind of sorry for the Rockies. They're just overmatched.

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    In this case, it's no so much rust as it is ice...

Leave a comment:

• MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Rust, schmust.

All streaks end. Any time you get one team sweeping their series and the next round opponent going to seven games, you get days off.

The Rockies streak, like any other after a certain point, had a lot of luck helping it along - everyone getting hot at the right time, other teams making mistakes.

The Rockies haven't hit well in the playoffs, but their opponents have lied down and died, at least until they came to Fenway.

Gee, working pitch counts and disciplined hitting instead of swinging at anything near the zone or watching one go fat up the middle... Whoda thunkit?

Shades of '04. The Sox went into the series with the kind of momentum that counts - the kind you get from winning back to back to back elimination games.

Maybe the Sox are just the better team?

But at least the Rockies' bandwagon will have the break between series to explain how the coach turned back into a pumpkin.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyKP
    replied
    *sigh* Long breaks before the World Series, how I loathe them...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X