Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XVII : Champions League Final and beyond..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonâ„¢
    replied
    Rivalries are also typically grounded in industrial era class-rivalry. The proletarian teams against the bourgeoisie teams. I'm not too sure about English teams but I'm sure there are examples amongst the rivalries between Liverpool and Everton, Manchester United and Manchester City, Bristol City against Bristol Rovers, the various London teams etc. An example in my own city is the furious rivalry between Beerschot Antwerp (proletarian) and Royal Antwerp (bourgeoisie). The demise of the industry and associated class-warfare hasn't appeared to diminish such team rivalries at all.

Leave a comment:

• Cort Haus
    replied
    They're known as the "bin-dippers" to many fans, and "stand up if you've got a job" is a popular taunt.

(Sorry, reds)

Leave a comment:

• Agathon
    replied
    Originally posted by Cort Haus

Hmmm, fierce local rivalries would be better than ethnic ones. You need two good teams in one city for that.
    I don't see that happening in the US. They have more hope of Mancs vs. Scousers type hate.

One of the best things I ever saw at Newcastle was our supporters singing "You stole my video" to the Liverpool fans.

Leave a comment:

• Cort Haus
    replied
    Originally posted by Agathon
    Hungary 7 - England 1
    Ferenc Puskas

Leave a comment:

• Cort Haus
    replied
    Originally posted by Agathon
    I can't wait for the first US instances of Mexican vs. Whitey hooliganism.
    Hmmm, fierce local rivalries would be better than ethnic ones. You need two good teams in one city for that.

Leave a comment:

• Agathon
    replied
    While on the topic of football.

Here is a video I found of one of the finest thrashings in the game's history. What makes it even better is that England are the ones being thrashed (and deservedly so, by possibly the greatest team to ever play the game).

Hungary 7 - England 1

At a guess I'd say this is England's worst ever defeat.

Leave a comment:

• Cort Haus
    replied
    Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    shirt sales .... I'm thinking of getting one

I don't have an MLS team... I can at least support this experiment.
    You've been Beckamed.

Leave a comment:

• Agathon
    replied
    I see that with the addition of Chivas, the MLS is finally getting it right.

Football is about tribalism and ethnic hatred. I can't wait for the first US instances of Mexican vs. Whitey hooliganism. Then we will know that football is a success in the US.

Leave a comment:

• Colonâ„¢
    replied
    I don't understand what you're saying.

Leave a comment:

• DanS
    replied
    Originally posted by Maquiladora
    I hope he does well.

Angel who couldn't buy a goal in the EPL already has 9 goals in 8 games for New York, so I expect Beckham to score a few, and rack up plenty of assists. If he stays fit.
    I agree with you that some of the differential is due to the difference in the quality of play, but I would argue it's mostly a matter of depth. The regular season means little for MLS, while it means everything for the EPL. MLS doesn't have the depth ($) to put a consistent product on the field throughout the season. Because of this, it doesn't surprise me that a good player out to start afresh would rack up a string of goals during the regular season based on effort.

Leave a comment:

• DanS
    replied
    I couldn't care less about Beckham, but DC United probably will bank at least $800,000 extra this season because of him (assuming 20,000 extra tickets sold times $40 apiece). With a payroll of just over $2 million, this is nice additional revenue for the club.

I bet the hype only sustains itself to the end of this season, on the other hand. Beckham's no Pele. And the LA Galaxy suck really badly.

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Yeah, basically .

I don't have an MLS team... I can at least support this experiment.

Leave a comment:

• Barnabas
    replied
    Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    and then he gets like 40%-50% of his shirt sales (which are over 250,000 so far.. and I'm thinking of getting one ) or something like that.

Well, if It helps the sport, it would be allright I guess

Leave a comment:

• reds4ever
    replied
    Morientes anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Claiming Forlan isn't a great player is a bit silly. The styles of some leagues lead to different players excelling. The Spanish and English leagues are two different beasts. Besides, Angel was pretty decent early on in his Villa career... then he was sidelined by injuries and whatnot (I remember that injury plagued season because I bought Angel for my fantasy squad for not a low price either!!).

I thought Angel would succeed. He racked up the goals early on. It seems they've closed him down a bit lately, but he's still been brilliant for the NY Red Bulls.

Beckham will most definately sell shirts. And sell tickets. And raise TV ratings. He is a MASSIVE name as well. There is a reason the designated player rule was deemed the "Beckham Rule" before LA even approached Real Madrid. It was basically designed to get someone like him into the MLS. And look at all the PR his signing has generated already!

Besides, the Galaxy are really only paying him $6.5 million a season, and then he gets like 40%-50% of his shirt sales (which are over 250,000 so far.. and I'm thinking of getting one) or something like that. I'm not sure you could find another player who could make that sort of impact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X