NCAA Tourneys promise and deliver!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stones or stupidity?

Conference tounaments are about revenue.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
      Exactly.

Thank you for making my argument for me. You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
        Stones or stupidity?

/me resists to bash an NCAA rule about a student athlete bringing in tons of moola for the school and yet, he/she cant accept squat or it all goes away

Thats ridiculous

But its the rules so we dont bend them..far
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I don't have a problem with eliminating conference tournaments. No chance it will happen, but it's a nice thought.

I have a huge problem with denying over half the top 25 a chance to play for the championship, as your proposal would.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
            Right now, ALL regular season games are meaningless, except for the Ivy League, the only league with the stones to not have a conference tournament.
            Not true. The regular season comprises the building of resumes for the teams vying for the 34 non-automatic bids.

Comment

See, there's the disconnect.

I think the polls mean squat. Less than squat. I don't care what a bunch of sportswriters or assistant coaches think, given that there is no way on god's green earth that they can see all the games.

I think the standings mean a whole helluva lot. And if team A goes 16-2 in conference, while team B goes 14-4, well, team B is **** outta luck. They had their chances.

Comment

Playing out of conference creates a mosaic of comparable results against common opponents. That's the resume I'm talking about -- not the polls.

If Team B's best player was injured through January, starting the conference schedule 4-5, then goes undefeated the rest of the way, you would screw them over -- even if they go 2-0 against the conference champs.

Most damning of all, your method would remove all motivation from teams elminated from championship consideration. The current system keeps teams playing hard to the bitter end.

Give it up, Guynemer. Your method would succees at only one thing:
                sucking all the excitement out of college basketball.

Comment

Hey, I never said I wanted more excitement. I totally agree, this would be less exciting.

However, it would give us a better champion.

Comment

Better? No, just more predictable.

Comment

Semantics, mon ami.

Comment

OK, just so we're clear: You're in favor of the NCAA basketball tournament being a piece of crap.

You're entitled.

Comment

Your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude

The most hilarious thing was the announcer on ESPN saying that they made sure the No 1 seeds were protected and went into their closest regions. He said they even had a computer calculating the mileage.

Ohio State - South
                            Florida - Midwest

Umm - I don't have my computer handy but....

Isn't Florida the southern most state in the continental US?

Isn't Ohio considered in the heartland of the midwest?

If a first grader did this on a geography test he would fail te test and probably end up grounded by his parents.
                            You have to think not in terms of the region names themselves but where the sites of the games actually are. The South Regional is in San Antonio and the Midwest regional is in St. Louis. Gainesville is closer to St. Louis than San Antonio by more than 100 miles. (Try this city distance tool and see for yourself.) And remember, Florida has preference because they are the overall #1 seed.
                            CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                            Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                            Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                            Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Billy Packer

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X