NCAA Tourneys promise and deliver!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Tourneys promise and deliver!

While waiting for "The Field" to be set, many a tourney is underway and as allways, a few surprises.

UCLA better get on the ball (No Pun)

My N C State Wolfpack upset Duke Blue Devils in opening round in OT

Any other great games?

Been working so had not had a time to observe many, listened to Miami take out Maryland yesterday

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Duke losing
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Go NC State
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

U N C Tarheels looking good against the B C Eagles

My daughter graduated Carolina and the medical at Bowman Grey (Wake Forest School of Medicine) so after my 'Pack they get the nod
        GT

Comment

My WOLFPACK is hanging tough against VT Hokies whom they beat twice in regular season

Moment to reflect

Coach Jim Valvano pictured here

I still get a lump in my throat when I think of what a great person he tried to be.

Then I think of how cancer overtook his earthen vessel

Then I think about how short of a time we have on earth..Just a thought
          Attached Files

Comment

Running a dirty program.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
              Running a dirty program.
              I am a little fuzzy, HERE is an excerpt, but did any charges ever get levied against Jim Valvano?

I mean was he ever found guilty outside of a lynching over inuendos?

I am a bit confused, could you shed some light on this subject for us?

Gramps

Comment

GO PACK against Carolina Tarheels for the ACC Tourney tommorrow

Comment

Arkansas has not failed to deliver a great game yet in the SEC tournament. If we focus and deliver our best tomorrow, and play with that drive and passion we've had so far in the tourney, we will win handily.

Earlier this season in one of our many slumps we ran almost neck and neck with Fla. losing 79-72 in Gainesville. The team has matured since then, and they definitely have been able to fixate on the sparks of passion witnessed earlier in the season and turn them into a drive through this tournament.

If you don't watch this game, you are silly. It's going to be a great one.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                    Arkansas has not failed to deliver a great game yet in the SEC tournament. If we focus and deliver our best tomorrow, and play with that drive and passion we've had so far in the tourney, we will win handily.

Earlier this season in one of our many slumps we ran almost neck and neck with Fla. losing 79-72 in Gainesville. The team has matured since then, and they definitely have been able to fixate on the sparks of passion witnessed earlier in the season and turn them into a drive through this tournament.

If you don't watch this game, you are silly. It's going to be a great one.
                    What time?

Comment

1:00 eastern / 12:00 central
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                        1:00 eastern / 12:00 central
                        same time as ACC Tourney

and alas, I can only watch that game for the first 45 minutes
                        then my oldest grandson Cameron has a 2 pm soccer match

hes 4 so he's a big old star

Gramps

Comment

Prediction: Florida by 18.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                            Prediction: Florida by 18.
                            They do have a good team and hasn't Arkansas played a softer schedule?

Seems they havent made that many statements this year

I also read where they might not get an invite even if they pull off a win today

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

I am a little fuzzy, HERE is an excerpt, but did any charges ever get levied against Jim Valvano?

I mean was he ever found guilty outside of a lynching over inuendos?

I am a bit confused, could you shed some light on this subject for us?

Gramps
                              In 1990, accusations of rules violations, originally surfacing in the book Personal Fouls by Peter Golenbock, led to his resignation after two state newspapers and the N.C. State student paper called for his ouster. A 1989 NCAA investigation had cleared Valvano but found that players had illegally sold shoes and game tickets (over 650 instances) and as a result, the basketball program was placed on probation for two years and banned from participating in the 1990 NCAA tournament. Also, a state-appointed Poole Commission issued a 32-page report that concluded that Valvano and his coaching staff circumvented rules so they could keep players eligible. After this report came out Valvano had been forced to resign as the schools' athletic director in October, 1989. In addition to Valvano's woes with the NCAA and his own University, ABC News, citing unidentified sources, reported that as many as four N.C. State players, including star forward Charles Shackleford, conspired to hold down the scores of four games in return for cash payments from a New Jersey contractor during the 1987-88 season. ABC said that one of the games was against Wake Forest on March 6, 1988. State defeated Wake Forest by four points after being favored by 16. According to Shackleford's lawyer and agent, Sal DiFazio, Shackleford never shaved points, although he admitted taking $65,000 from two men-one of whom was identified by ABC as the key figure in the point-shaving scheme-while playing for the Wolfpack. (Los Angeles Times, 3/3/90)

During Valvano's ten-year tenure as head coach at North Carolina State he gained a reputation for having miniscule graduation rates among his players as only 3 of his recruits ended up graduating from the University. One of the players recruited by Valvano, Chris Washburn, scored 470 on his Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) before being permitted to enroll (400 is the minum possible score). Washburn was later thrown out of school for stealing a fellow student's stereo.

So he was cleared by the NCAA, who found over 650 instances of players illegally selling shoes & tickets. Am I supposed to believe he was totally clueless as to what was going on in his program?

The Poole Commission found that he & his staff circumvented rules to keep players eligible.

Three of his recruits graduated. THREE!

If he hadn't quit, surely some charges would have been levied. But since none were, and he wasn't found guilty, he's OK, huh? Please.

Too bad he died of cancer, but I get sick of hearing people gush about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X