Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only real reason to "let it happen" is that after the pandemic has run its course the maximum number of people should be immune to it (if the virus hasn't mutated by then).
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• The reasons to let it happen are:

1) total infections are going to be similar no matter what we do
      2) the extreme measures we are taking to bend the curve will only marginally help (ICU capacity will max out either way)
      3) the shorter the time frame until herd immunity, the easier it will be to isolate the vulnerable
      4) what we're doing now is incredibly expensive both economically and from a life enjoyment perspective

Let. It. Happen.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• dannubis
        dannubis commented
        Editing a comment
        1) yes, but at a slower rate
        2) if you have 800 places in the life boats I'd prefer 1000 people in the water over 2000
        3) yes
        4) depends on if you are lucky enough to avoid complications when you get sick

• If you've maxed out ICU capacity... then you need "death panels" to decide who gets care... and if you've moderately exceeded the ICU capacity I would guess that the cutoff would be more generous than if you vastly exceeded it. Like maybe it could be the difference between "people over 80 can't have ventilators" and "people over 65 can't have ventilators"

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        The reasons to let it happen are:

1) total infections are going to be similar no matter what we do
        2) the extreme measures we are taking to bend the curve will only marginally help (ICU capacity will max out either way)
        3) the shorter the time frame until herd immunity, the easier it will be to isolate the vulnerable
        4) what we're doing now is incredibly expensive both economically and from a life enjoyment perspective

Let. It. Happen.
        South Korea, Singapore and China (and Japan and Taiwan) all argue against 1).

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

I'll be fine. I'm working from home and can do that indefinitely.
          Remember why KH doesn't care: 'I'm alright, Jack'

He wants everyone that's going to die to do so as quickly as possible...

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

Incredibly expensive... from a life enjoyment perspective
          ...so he can come out of hiding and get back to enjoying his life at the expense of all those dead people...
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

South Korea, Singapore and China (and Japan and Taiwan) all argue against 1).

JM
            They all had competent governments who actually started screening and doing selective quarantines early. They also did very early and very wide spread testing and contact tracing starting months ago. As usual the orange buffoon just sat there picking his nose and doing nothing until a crisis forced him to act and even then he just gave a few meaningless speeches without any positive action.

The man is just stupid and incompetent.
            Last edited by Dinner; March 26, 2020, 13:25.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Now, now silly Oerdin... everything is just fine. Chortle chortle chortle.
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• The man is, in effect, a killer, and people like KH want to enable him to kill more people.

#TrumpVirus

Comment

• It is impossible to underestimate the sheer dumbass stupidity of the US' response to the coronavirus outbreak: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-outbreak.html

Shocking, not!

Comment

• Wouldn't it me more efficient and cheaper to simply hunt down the immunocompromised and elderly? America has the firepower to do this efficiently, I'm surprised that no one in the GOP hierarchy had suggested this. An exemption can be made for the grossly obese, so that the population still remains viable.
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                      Wouldn't it me more efficient and cheaper to simply hunt down the immunocompromised and elderly? America has the firepower to do this efficiently, I'm surprised that no one in the GOP hierarchy had suggested this. An exemption can be made for the grossly obese, so that the population still remains viable.
                      You could sell that idea to Trump followers and they would buy it.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• US is now #1!

Congrats on doing that so quickly!

Uncle Sparky, that is a genius idea - Trump could send out the know even more heavily armed militias and have this whole thing sorted by the weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post

They all had competent governments who actually started screening and doing selective quarantines early. They also did very early and very wide spread testing and contact tracing starting months ago. As usual the orange buffoon just sat there picking his nose and doing nothing until a crisis forced him to act and even then he just gave a few meaningless speeches without any positive action.

The man is just stupid and incompetent.
                          Yes, it would have saved trillions of dollars and thousands of lives to have started two months ago.But that doesn't mean we should give-up now... the cost would be insane. We should get going on it. We need~2 billion tests.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                            US is now #1!

Congrats on doing that so quickly!
                            Trump would appear to be overseeing the worst of both worlds - a healthcare emergency AND economic meltdown. The more this goes on, the more I am persuaded by the logic of go back to travel/work - or at least widespread test for past exposure and let the recovered get back to free movement as a priority.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• MOBIUS
                              MOBIUS commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Like a fait accompli: we're in this mess already - might as well power on through...

Though still probably way less than 1% of the pop already infected...

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            or at least widespread test for past exposure and let the recovered get back to free movement as a priority.
                            This is a good idea.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                              Uncle Sparky commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Can you be 'cured' and still be a carrier? Can you get it more than once? How will people react when exposed a second time? Could it act like VZV and re-infect, but in a different way? I'm not an immunologist, so just throwing it out there...
                          Working...
                          X