Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post

You are a very stupid man.
      Ok racist

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        You think maybe some people stopped paying for cell phone service because quarantine is hurting the economy?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post

Just curious - why are yanks buying weapons instead of food and other necessites like toilet paper etc ?
          If all ppl shoot a fair amount of virus this thing will be over in no time

Blah

Comment

• Massive jump in serious/critical cases in the US... Here it comes...

Daily and weekly updated statistics tracking the number of COVID-19 cases, recovered, and deaths. Historical data with cumulative charts, graphs, and updates.
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Blah

Comment

• I am currently participating in hook up culture. Yesterday, I hooked up my VCR, and today I might hook up my Super Nintendo!
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Andrew Cuomo, today:

Probably "hundreds of thousands of people" have already had Covid-19, didn't know they had it, and recovered. Should be tested for antibodies so they could go back to work and keep the economy going

Containment failed a month ago. The US is already deep into the exponential growth phase. Peak infections probably in about 2 weeks, peak hospitalization a week after that. Overall IFRs of somewhat less than 0.5%, deaths (in the US) of 500k or so. NOTHING WE'VE DONE IN TERMS OF SOCIAL DISTANCING OR SHELTERING IN PLACE WILL HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE TO THE FINAL OUTCOME. R0 estimates keep creeping upward (4.0 as of most recent, best estimate), fatality rates creeping downward.

Italy is at peak. An essentially uncontained pandemic has killed 6000 people, will kill another 10000, and there is nothing that could have been done. They shut the barn doors after the horses bolted, the same as everybody else. Chinese case and death rates are fabrications. Taiwan and Singapore will suffer the exact same fate in 6 months because their population hasn't gotten natural immunity.

You try containing a virus with an R0 of 4.0 and no known vaccine. Good ****ing luck.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                    Uncle Sparky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BECAUSE THE US did a crappy job of sheltering and social distancing. Period. You failed the first part because your joker president said it was a hoax, and way too many Americans believe they are invulnerable. 50,000,000 died world wide of the Spanish flu... I bet you a nickel the US alone will beat that with COVID 19. KH, you should go to a nice buffet, then maybe a gun show!

• Yes, the Europeans have done such a spectacular job of testing and containment that every major European country outside Germany has both:

1) a far higher number of deaths per capita
                  2) much poorer detection rates

France, Spain, the UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Austria, Denmark, Switzerland....

The only effective government action thus far has come from Singapore, Korea and Taiwan. Furthermore, it won't actually matter because they'll just catch it a few months later.

This is not the spanish flu, you ****ing simpleton. It's got a tenth the mortality rate and twice the infectiousness. The proper response is to protect the vulnerable, take steps to increase ICU capacity and let the rest of the population catch it as quickly as possible with as little disruption to every day activity as possible.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Wouldnt R0 ~4, IFR ~0.5% mean:

US deaths = 320m * 0.75 * 0.005 = 1.2m
                    Italy deaths = 60m * 0.75 * 0.005 = 225k

?

Comment

• I agree with Braindead.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        Andrew Cuomo, today:

Probably "hundreds of thousands of people" have already had Covid-19, didn't know they had it, and recovered. Should be tested for antibodies so they could go back to work and keep the economy going

Containment failed a month ago. The US is already deep into the exponential growth phase. Peak infections probably in about 2 weeks, peak hospitalization a week after that. Overall IFRs of somewhat less than 0.5%, deaths (in the US) of 500k or so. NOTHING WE'VE DONE IN TERMS OF SOCIAL DISTANCING OR SHELTERING IN PLACE WILL HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE TO THE FINAL OUTCOME. R0 estimates keep creeping upward (4.0 as of most recent, best estimate), fatality rates creeping downward.

Italy is at peak. An essentially uncontained pandemic has killed 6000 people, will kill another 10000, and there is nothing that could have been done. They shut the barn doors after the horses bolted, the same as everybody else. Chinese case and death rates are fabrications. Taiwan and Singapore will suffer the exact same fate in 6 months because their population hasn't gotten natural immunity.

You try containing a virus with an R0 of 4.0 and no known vaccine. Good ****ing luck.
                        Until he has the antibody tests he's literally guessing.

First word - "probably."

What? I know leaders have to make tough decisions but I'm not placing much faith in a "probably"
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                          Wouldnt R0 ~4, IFR ~0.5% mean:

US deaths = 320m * 0.75 * 0.005 = 1.2m
                          Italy deaths = 60m * 0.75 * 0.005 = 225k

?
                          R0 of 4 is unlikely to mean that 75% actually get it. More likely < 50% first round as populations don't actually mix uniformly
                          Furthermore the higher R0 is realized to be the lower the actual IFR is likely to be - my best estimate of IFR has dropped somewhat (to 0.3% or so)

I'm currently working on an estimate to put an upper bound on IFR given demographics of deaths vs population and an assumption that everybody who has caught the disease in the top age bucket has been diagnosed (i.e. that the observed fatality rate in those 80+ of about 10% is accurate)

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                            Uncle Sparky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Underlying conditions that contribute to death include obesity. The US will have tens of millions of deaths, and Trump (or his successor) can claim a big win! Meanwhile KH, do YOUR part and roll around in medical waste.

• Still the case in 2020 America -

Click image for larger version

Name:	algebra.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	9388489
                          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• First person I know to die from COVID-19. 39 years old. No underlying except asthma to my knowledge. I didn’t know them well (friend of friend) but still jars a little.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                              Uncle Sparky commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The first one I knew to die of COVID-19 was a musician, age 51, who had beaten cancer over 10 years ago, and was considered healthy.
                          Working...
                          X