Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum7
    replied
    I’m trying out many different avenues of Star Wars technology and I think the best bet is to go with droids. They are almost eponymous with Star Wars and I’m sure scientists are still working on stuff with droids. What can be done with droid technology that hasn’t already been done in Legends or Canon? They did a planet wide droid intelligence in The Force Unleashed that was able to possess PROXY, who he himself was a very unique droid. They also explored AI uprisings and droid free will many times. What can a scientist do with droids?

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    I watched Solo a Star Wars Story last night on Netflix. It was fun though obviously aimed at a younger crowd and not exactly the most surprising plot line on the planet. In fact, it was a bit predictable. Still, fun to watch and the nine year old liked it.

Leave a comment:

• Maximum7
    replied
    On improving the hyperdrive. What could he do to improve it besides:

*Making them travel through hyperspace faster

*Requiring less fuel

*Allowing them to leave the galaxy and travel to others

Leave a comment:

• Proteus_MST
    replied
    Originally posted by Maximum7 View Post

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

If you mean some kind of human with the analytical capabilities of a computer ... well, in Dune they are called Mentats

Another interesting thing from the Dune-Universe:
    Gholas

They are like Clones from a dead person, grown from a tissue sample. But in contrast to a normal clone, they retain all the memories and behaviors that the original had up till the time that the tissue sample was taken.

Leave a comment:

• Maximum7
    replied
    I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess that’s what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.

Things he can’t be working on

1.) Dyson sphere- Believe it or not it already exists in SWTOR

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

3.) A Giant Underground City- Sullust has tons of these.

4.) Kransnikov Tube- Would be too much of a gamechanger for travel

5.) Ford-Svaitar mirror- Too much of a gamechanger for travel

6.) Nicoll-Dyson Laser- We already have the Death Star and Starkiller Base

7.) Space elevator- They have those

8.) Shellworld- Waste of time. Plenty of planets to work with

9) Alderton Disk- Too big

10.) Ringworld- Exists on Ringo Vinda

11.) Underwater cities- Plenty of those

12.) Any type of space habitat.

Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• Maximum7
    commented on 's reply
    You can’t ingest bacta.

• pchang
    commented on 's reply
    Perhaps the taste affects its healing abilities. I could see roast pork flavor being superior to kale flavor.

• Proteus_MST
    replied
    Perhaps the taste of Bacta could be improved, so that you will actually enjoy swimming in a Bacta tank for several days

Leave a comment:

• Maximum7
    commented on 's reply
    It’s a gelatinous healing substance that the galaxy uses. It’s in the tank Luke Skywalker was in when he was being healed in ESB after he got attacked by the Wampa.

• pchang
    commented on 's reply
    What is a bacta?

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    Spray-Can? Perhaps a suit of some sort?(well, more like a tank shaped like a suit so that you don't need a full-sized tank. Considerable space savings. Not really any more mobile than a real-world full body cast but still less cumbersome than a 3 meter tall tank.)

Leave a comment:

• Maximum7
    replied
    I’m looking to do something with bacta. What can be improved about bacta?

Leave a comment:

• BeBMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Doesn't seem to be too hard to imagine that even in the Star Wars universe, for intraplanetary medium distance transportation of goods, a transport via MagLev ist still much cheaper than a transport via space ships or speeder transports
    Also, how'd they do a train robbery without them

Leave a comment:

• Maximum7
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I guess that’s true. Just a little too close for comfort.

• pchang
    commented on 's reply
    If you assume that The Force requires conscious intent in order to activate, then the genome does nothing Force-wise because genes have no intention. This would give an explanation why “science” is fundamentally unable to explain the Force.
Working...
X