Congratulations, CANADA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations, CANADA!

Recreational marijuana use will soon be legal in Canada after the Senate passed a “historic” bill on Tuesday with a vote of 52-29.

(CNN)Recreational marijuana use will soon be legal in Canada after the Senate passed a "historic" bill on Tuesday with a vote of 52-29.

Canada is only the second country in the world -- and the first G7 nation -- to implement legislation to permit a nationwide marijuana market. In the neighboring US, nine states and the District of Columbia now allow for recreational marijuana use, and 30 allow for medical use.
    Bill C-45, otherwise known as the Cannabis Act, stems from a campaign pledge of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to keep marijuana away from underage users and reduce related crime.
    The act to legalize the recreational use of weed was first introduced on April 13, 2017, and was later passed at the House of Commons in November. The Senate passage of the bill was the final hurdle in the process.Uruguay was the first country to legalize marijuana's production, sale and consumption in December 2013.
    Although the Canadian government had initially stated its intent to implement by July 2018, provinces and territories, who will be responsible for drafting their own rules for marijuana sales, have advised that they would need eight to 12 weeks after the Senate approval to transition to the new framework.
    The government is expected to choose a date in early or mid September.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Holy ****, I'm ****ing infamous around these parts!

Comment

Now the USA will need a wall at its northern border.
      But will Canada pay for it?
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Weed will pay for it. The wall will be made out of hemp! Also, some other stuff, like bricks and mortar.

Comment

Holy **** it's Felch!
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yeah, a welcome sight.

On topic. First time in my life that I wanted to be a Canadian. Bravo.

I was listening to some talking heads on TV and the suggestion came up that giving the blacks the pot business in the US when it became legal would be a fair reparation. While I've always not been a fan of reparation plans of any kind, I actually like this one.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Holy ****, it's Lori!

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                Yeah, a welcome sight.

On topic. First time in my life that I wanted to be a Canadian. Bravo.

I was listening to some talking heads on TV and the suggestion came up that giving the blacks the pot business in the US when it became legal would be a fair reparation. While I've always not been a fan of reparation plans of any kind, I actually like this one.
                Is that sort of like letting Indians have gambling?
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                  Now the USA will need a wall at its northern border.
                  But will Canada pay for it?
                  Canada will build the wall, and the US will pay for it.
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                  Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                  Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

How would they "give the blacks the pot business?"

I mean, I get that most of the legal market has been taken over by white people, and that's not right. I'm not sure it's a racist policy though, just white people have more capital and more political connections, that sort of thing.

I'd like to see total deregulation. Let whoever wants to grow, grow. Let whoever wants to sell, sell. Cannabis is only dangerous in the sense that sugar is dangerous; if you consume massive quantities for decades you'll eventually get sick. Except sugar kills more people every year. Treat cannabis like cotton or sugar, or any other commodity. Let everyone participate in the market, without favoritism to politically connected parties.

But if that happened, the politicians wouldn't be able to get paid. :shrug:

Comment

We gave the natives the cigarette trade here.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                        Holy ****, it's Lori!
                        Felch man you should really post more here and less in the FB comments of Economist articles.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                          How would they "give the blacks the pot business?"

I mean, I get that most of the legal market has been taken over by white people, and that's not right. I'm not sure it's a racist policy though, just white people have more capital and more political connections, that sort of thing.

I'd like to see total deregulation. Let whoever wants to grow, grow. Let whoever wants to sell, sell. Cannabis is only dangerous in the sense that sugar is dangerous; if you consume massive quantities for decades you'll eventually get sick. Except sugar kills more people every year. Treat cannabis like cotton or sugar, or any other commodity. Let everyone participate in the market, without favoritism to politically connected parties.

But if that happened, the politicians wouldn't be able to get paid. :shrug:
                          The growing end of the business here is very corporate already and will stay so.

The retail end is a mash up across the country as provinces decide the particulars. My province screwed it up and went with government owned and run distribution but others got it right with private dispensaries.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Felch man you should really post more here and less in the FB comments of Economist articles.
                            Bro, I have so much fun there. Every day there are more people to troll. Also going on the Fox News YouTube channel is a riot.

Comment

Fox is last on my list of daily news websites to visit.

Once I read what is actually going on its amusing as all hell to see what the idiots are up to.

Comment

Working...
                              X