Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Value Does Tradition Have In The Age of the Internets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Value Does Tradition Have In The Age of the Internets?

Hi guys! I used to be a regular here, but haven't posted in what must be years.

This was my first online forum ever... they say the first you never forget

I first came here as a student... I'm a fully grown man now (I think). No family of my own yet. Programmer nowadays (but don't let your work define you).

Glad to see this place still going strong after 20 years or so. Wow.

Seems less active than in its heyday but still, kudos to the people maintaining it.

I remember it being sold to Ming & rah at some point, probably owned by Time Warner by now or something

Curious if you guys ever held something like a mass event? A conference? I would have joined if I knew.

Anyway I don't have a particular point here, just stopping by to say hi.

BTW (if I'm not going to be banned for mentioning competition), anyone knows how to reset the password on Counterglow? PM me.

Wow my avatar is quite scary. What was I thinking

Comment

Hi VetLegion! Great to see you check in.

Poly is now owned by Aeson, who runs it as his personal PR machine from his homemade fortress in the Philippines.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It had to be homemade, shipping costs on fortresses are scary!

Welcome back VetLegion

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
          Wow my avatar is quite scary. What was I thinking
          QFT
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
            Hi VetLegion! Great to see you check in.

Poly is now owned by Aeson, who runs it as his personal PR machine from his homemade fortress in the Philippines.
            LoL
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Jay Rab ftw
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Chevy
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re VetLegion

The answer to your question is: 6c8f9ed118840397d53c3e78e25eb415
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Welcome back, VetLegion! Poly still exists, technically.

btw I was all prepared for a deep and illuminating discussion about how the internet is transforming culture...
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome

Lorizael

The title is not all that misleading... when I remembered Apolyton I did think whether coming back to an old forum would feel the same as coming back home after a long trip.

Tested that! It doesn't feel quite the same, but there is a bit of nostalgia for past times, at least with me.

Used to engage in my first flame wars here (hello Paiktis22, if you're still around!) over dial-up modem, seen the first trolls here, the first neverending debates about values... good times.

It's interesting that the advent of Twitter, Facebook, etc, hasn't killed online bulletin boards as means of communication. They remained a useful channel.

BTW if any of you folks is currently in Belgrade, Serbia... ping me and let's grab a beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                        Re VetLegion

The answer to your question is: 6c8f9ed118840397d53c3e78e25eb415
                        Sent 3 BTC to that address, should arrive soon, thanks.

Comment

Paiktis is now known as Bereta Eder, but moastly now just poasts at Counterglow after Ming kept banning him.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Yes, and it is now "pickles" and "banana eater"
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                              Thanks all for the welcome

Lorizael

The title is not all that misleading... when I remembered Apolyton I did think whether coming back to an old forum would feel the same as coming back home after a long trip.

Tested that! It doesn't feel quite the same, but there is a bit of nostalgia for past times, at least with me.

Used to engage in my first flame wars here (hello Paiktis22, if you're still around!) over dial-up modem, seen the first trolls here, the first neverending debates about values... good times.

It's interesting that the advent of Twitter, Facebook, etc, hasn't killed online bulletin boards as means of communication. They remained a useful channel.

BTW if any of you folks is currently in Belgrade, Serbia... ping me and let's grab a beer!
                              For me Poly still feels like my home on the internet. There are plenty of other sites I frequent and even contribute to, but it always feels like visiting.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X