X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
    Once law enforcement starts thinking of the population as the enemy and not as their treasure... we are in real trouble. And it seems like we have been there for some time (and in general African Americans have always been there).

JM
    Trouble is the black on black murder rate, and we need to focus on that instead of getting horrible politicians elected.

Leave a comment:

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    Enforce and Punish!

Leave a comment:

• Kidlicious
    replied

I am sure this is part of it, I thought about mentioning it but didn't.

Still, it isn't an attitude that law enforcement should have. Their reason of being should be to protect and serve, not to get home that night. There is an inherent risk in that protect and serve.

Military people often have a hard time being in civilian society because they are meant to be more aggressive, harder and more callous about the lives of others. It seems to me, although maybe I just have noticed this more, that in the last 20 years law enforcement has become more military-like in attitudes and actions. This is a serious problem.

And one independent of racial bias and corruption/blue mob mentality.

JM
    (The last I have seen prevalent even among police officers who I generally like and agree with.)
    Protect and serve isn't an actual objective, nor should it be.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Miller
    replied
    Once law enforcement starts thinking of the population as the enemy and not as their treasure... we are in real trouble. And it seems like we have been there for some time (and in general African Americans have always been there).

JM

Leave a comment:

• Jon Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
    I guess in many cases it surely is more difficult to not overreact, when you are a law enforcement officer in a country that has more privately owned guns than it has citizens (compared with being a law enforcement officer in countries with more than just rudimentary firearm laws)

I am sure this is part of it, I thought about mentioning it but didn't.

Still, it isn't an attitude that law enforcement should have. Their reason of being should be to protect and serve, not to get home that night. There is an inherent risk in that protect and serve.

Military people often have a hard time being in civilian society because they are meant to be more aggressive, harder and more callous about the lives of others. It seems to me, although maybe I just have noticed this more, that in the last 20 years law enforcement has become more military-like in attitudes and actions. This is a serious problem.

And one independent of racial bias and corruption/blue mob mentality.

JM
    (The last I have seen prevalent even among police officers who I generally like and agree with.)

Leave a comment:

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    Why can't american cops be more like this guy?

Leave a comment:

• rah
    replied
    Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
    Now rah, that's not a very nice thing to say to Proteus.
    If I was actually directing that at him I would have to agree.

Leave a comment:

• Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
    I guess in many cases it surely is more difficult to not overreact, when you are a law enforcement officer in a country that has more privately owned guns than it has citizens (compared with being a law enforcement officer in countries with more than just rudimentary firearm laws)
    You killed two birds with one stone. First, you claim that since the police shot someone that it's an overreaction. Second, you blame that on law abiding citizens owning guns.

Leave a comment:

• Lorizael
    replied
    Now rah, that's not a very nice thing to say to Proteus.

Leave a comment:

• rah
    replied
    Where did he say that? Geeze, why don't you just go back to the kiddy table and let the adults discuss the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Kidlicious
    replied

Because many law enforcement think of themselves as being in a war, with the primary goal returning home alive. I have seen this with many of my own family in law enforcement.

It is one of the central issues with law enforcement in this country (there are at least three, and only one of those is related to racial bias).

If you are looking out for yourself (physically and legally), it is safer to shoot to kill.

JM
    You have an issue with police wanting to go home to their families?

Leave a comment:

• Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    Here's the elephant-in-the-room question:

WHY CAN'T LAW ENFORCEMENT SHOOT TO WOUND / DISABLE?
    WHY IS EVERYTHING A KILL SHOT?

The job is to arrest and detain criminals for prosecution, not to act as judge and executioner.
    This is a slick way of falsely accusing police of murder. I wonder why you aren't as judgemental of the FBI.

Leave a comment:

• Proteus_MST
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lorizael
    replied

The job is to arrest and detain criminals for prosecution, not to act as judge and executioner.
    Shooting to wound/disable is very hard to do and much more likely to end in failure. Cops aren't trained to "kill" but to shoot for center mass.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Miller
    replied

Because many law enforcement think of themselves as being in a war, with the primary goal returning home alive. I have seen this with many of my own family in law enforcement.

It is one of the central issues with law enforcement in this country (there are at least three, and only one of those is related to racial bias).

If you are looking out for yourself (physically and legally), it is safer to shoot to kill.

JM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X