Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me or are Americans starting to die in increasing numbers from Climate Change related natural disasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zevico View Post
    And Mobius' fanaticism is dangerous. It really is just standing over people's graves and shouting for attention in a thoughtless, hysterical manner, without asking for or expecting any evidence for his views.
    Moby = Fred Phelps

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3324292.html
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Great story!

I noticed how huff post are too scared to show the whole of the picture though...

Yes, I'm Fred Phelps for criticising the situations that actually put American lives in danger...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
        Yes, I'm Fred Phelps
        Agreed.

Yes, climate change is happening. But it’s hard to say that the tornado that ripped through Moore, Oklahoma, was influenced by climate change.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• From your link.

There are also indications that changing patterns may influence the intensity of hurricanes.
          Wasn't it only a year or so ago that scientific research had not made a clear connection between hurricanes and climate change...?

Watch this space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
            1500 to 2000 ppm would put us at roughly Mesozoic levels. If the plants of that time were sufficient to sustain dinosaurs, I think we'll be okay.
            link

Methods: Twenty-two participants were exposed to CO2 at 600, 1,000, and 2,500 ppm in an office-like chamber, in six groups. Each group was exposed to these conditions in three 2.5-hr sessions, all on 1 day, with exposure order balanced across groups. At 600 ppm, CO2 came from outdoor air and participants’ respiration. Higher concentrations were achieved by injecting ultrapure CO2. Ventilation rate and temperature were constant. Under each condition, participants completed a computer-based test of decision-making performance as well as questionnaires on health symptoms and perceived air quality. Participants and the person administering the decision-making test were blinded to CO2 level. Data were analyzed with analysis of variance models.

Results: Relative to 600 ppm, at 1,000 ppm CO2, moderate and statistically significant decrements occurred in six of nine scales of decision-making performance. At 2,500 ppm, large and statistically significant reductions occurred in seven scales of decision-making performance (raw score ratios, 0.06–0.56), but performance on the focused activity scale increased.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• From 1950 to 2012, 220 tornadoes passed within 25 miles of Moore, Oklahoma. They've been directly hit four times since 1998.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                Except there's a little thing called acclimatization. Go from sea level straight to a 4 km mountain, you'll gas out in no time. But if you gradually build up to that altitude, you'll be fine. CO2 makes us feel like we're not getting enough oxygen, even when we are (since it's a waste product). But if you were to gradually increase CO2, even as fast as a few ppm per day, people would have a pretty easy time adjusting. In other words, the laboratory test is not relevant to what we're talking about, since it assumes that the CO2 would be added immediately to the atmosphere and not gradually introduced.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Carbon dioxide makes up less than 0.05% of the atmosphere. Felch is right.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    From 1950 to 2012, 220 tornadoes passed within 25 miles of Moore, Oklahoma. They've been directly hit four times since 1998.
                    So basically they had three warnings to build shelters before this time...

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      Oh, fun fact about CO2 levels: if they were like, twice as high as they are now, without the temperature increasing, that would be really awesome because plants would grow much more easily and it would be far easier to grow food. If you take a look at photosynthesis, what it's doing is converting carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen. The plant keeps the glucose and exhales the oxygen. The equation looks like this:

6CO2 + 6H2O -> C6H12O6 + 6O2

The vast majority--90%, roughly--of the mass of a plant comes right from the air it breathes. As in, the plant is basically made up of the carbon it pulls from the atmosphere, not water (unlike animals). Note that in the equation above, about 94% of the mass that the plant holds onto is coming from the CO2. Stoichiometrically, photosynthesis is almost always limited by carbon dioxide. Thus the amount of glucose the plant can create, and the rate at which it can grow, is very very limited by carbon dioxide, or otherwise limited by how much sunlight it gets (since this reaction is endothermic, it needs energy input).

Greenhouses often have artificially elevated CO2 levels to increase plant growth rate for this reason.
                      There are a whole host of issues you aren't considering.

Comment

Working...
                      X