No announcement yet.

And now for more important matters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No not Mexican. Puerto Rican. But American born and raised. I'm actually surprised that one guy who listens exclusively to rock music and is very 'white' wasn't familiar with Led Zeppelin. I would've thought he would have been. Go figure.

Let's get real. This is an issue of age, race, and socioeconomic background. People in the hood usually don't listen to 1970's rock music anymore. Maybe 40 year olds did back in the day but not this generation. It should not be shocking to anyone.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Okay I asked a handful of people I know, ages ranged from 22-29 and included African-American and Latino men. Not a single one was familiar with Led Zeppelin on the level where they knew their songs. Knowledge of them ranged from having never heard of them to awareness of them being a rock band but knowing nothing beyond that to, in a single case, someone saying they listened to them when they were 13 and went to private school but they haven't listened to them in 16 years. One guy said that he assumes that the songs are like in the public consciousness (like used in commercials and movies and stuff) but he didn't know any of their songs off-hand.

See, not alone. And it shouldn't be shocking.
      That you surround yourself by people who are equally culturally ignorant as you are would be unsurprising and would prove nothing.
      Not about being culturally literate unless you define culture as some sort of monolithic, likely mono-ethnic, entity perpetuated by a union of white America and corporate interests. For shame, Boris
      The very definition of being culturally literate is to have an understanding of the dominant culture, meaning beyond the narrow scope of one's particular ethnic/religious/geographic location. That would definitely include a music group that ranks as the #6 best-selling musical artist of all time, sandwiched between Madonna and Queen. That you'd attempt to paint knowledge of Led Zeppelin as an example of "monoethnicity," while at the same time you are clearly ignorant of all but a very few musical genres due to YOUR cultural circumstances, is pretty amusing.

Incidentally, I'd respond the same way to some idiot white guy who told me he didn't know who Stevie Wonder was, lest you think this is cultural snobbery.

Also, Led Zeppelin is a British band, not American, you twit.
      Last edited by Boris Godunov; December 4, 2010, 00:00.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Stevie Wonder?

It doesn't matter if Al knew or not. He does now. All because of Poly.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Albie, you would be surprised by how unpopular Rap/Hip Hop is outside the USA, it is at most, an anglosphere phenomenon, and in the UK or Australia they are not as much into Hio Hop as in the USA.

Just search in wiki the list of the best selling albums worldwide ever, and it will be mainly rock bands + pop singers like Michael Jackson, Celine Dion.
          To sell over 30 million albums you have to sell many albums in Japan, Latin America, Europe, South East Asia, and rappers can't do that.
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
            Albie, you would be surprised by how unpopular Rap/Hip Hop is outside the USA, it is at most, an anglosphere phenomenon, and in the UK or Australia they are not as much into Hio Hop as in the USA.

Just search in wiki the list of the best selling albums worldwide ever, and it will be mainly rock bands + pop singers like Michael Jackson, Celine Dion.
            To sell over 30 million albums you have to sell many albums in Japan, Latin America, Europe, South East Asia, and rappers can't do that.
            To appreciate good rap requires a native English speaker. Unlike singing, rapping is essentially just talking in rhymes so while one can appreciate the sound of singing and appreciate the emotion behind it, someone who doesn't know English will get nothing from rap. The cadence of rap is also fast, at talking speed, so that necessitates the need for fluency in English to even understand the words.

However, there are a lot of rappers who rap in their native tongues, though. Reggaeton is essentially rap in Spanish, for example, and that genre sells well.

I do wonder about the language differences, though. Always struck me that rhyming in Spanish is much less difficult than in English because Spanish words tend to end in a few specific sounds (-a, -o, -cion, etc.) which would make rhyming a joke relative to English.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
              Wy did you rule out Houses of the Holy?
              It has the Rain Song

I am very mad

But, to be sincere, this is a very easy question to answer, the best Led Zeppelin album is IV, and after that album, Houses of the Holy.

edit: I thought you had not included Houses of the Holy in the poll, sorry
              barnabas is wiglaf.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

To appreciate good rap requires a native English speaker. Unlike singing, rapping is essentially just talking in rhymes so while one can appreciate the sound of singing and appreciate the emotion behind it, someone who doesn't know English will get nothing from rap. The cadence of rap is also fast, at talking speed, so that necessitates the need for fluency in English to even understand the words.
                TTC disagrees.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

What's TTC? And like I said if you read the rest of my post, there is rap in foreign languages which does better and is more appropriate for non-English-speaking rap fans since they can actually understand the words.

Comment

albert, you say you are ignorant, and you then try to defend your ignorance, and come off looking even more ignorant. wow, just, wow.

i remember you giving a lecture about blues (which was comical btw), yet you've never heard of the best selling rhythm & blues band of all time...
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

However, there are a lot of rappers who rap in their native tongues, though. Reggaeton is essentially rap in Spanish, for example, and that genre sells well.

I do wonder about the language differences, though. Always struck me that rhyming in Spanish is much less difficult than in English because Spanish words tend to end in a few specific sounds (-a, -o, -cion, etc.) which would make rhyming a joke relative to English.
                      Actually, rap is less popular because it sucks. Rappers just aren't talented enough to sing or play an instrument so all they do is talk.

Comment

Don't make me choose Either II or IV. Probably II because the only "bad" song on their IMO is Whole Lotta Love, compared to Misty Mountain Hop, and the Lemon song is just...wow.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I chose II.

Tough call, the first 4 are all very good.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know. I used to have some of the records, but they are the band that I'm the most burnt out on I guess. I don't like them anymore, except for Stairway every great once in awhile.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              Actually, rap is less popular because it sucks. Rappers just aren't talented enough to sing or play an instrument so all they do is talk.
                              I'm leaving this thread now. I'm getting called out yet again but I won't turn this into a discussion about rap.

gribbler needs to grow up and learn something. So I guess poets suck too since all they can do is talk

Comment

I'm leaving this thread now. I'm getting called out yet again but I won't turn this into a discussion about rap.

gribbler needs to grow up and learn something. So I guess poets suck too since all they can do is talk
                                No, they don't pretend to be musicians so they don't have to meet the same standards.

Oh and BAWWW QUIT DISLIKING WHAT I LIKE

Comment

Working...
                                X