No announcement yet.

And now for more important matters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Wolf of The J. Geils Band being married to Faye Dunaway seemed odd.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ever heard "Whole lotta love", albie?

Maybe it's a bit 'obscure' for you.

Comment

Now let's get back to discussing Led Zeppelin before I start lecturing on 80s and 90s hair bands.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          Every heard "Whole lotta love", albie?

Maybe it's a bit 'obscure' for you.
          Not ringing any bells. Nor as I go through it. I don't think any of you should be so shocked. I am certain most of the people I know aren't familiar with a 40-year old rock band No stretch of the imagination there. Like seriously.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Jrabbit and Boris, I bet I know more about other genres of music than you do though. I'm not going to call you illiterate because you may not be familiar with something. I just would consider you weren't exposed to it.
            Darlin', I guarantee I know more about more genres of music than you do, even if you know more than me in a couple.

At least in the genres I don't know very well I can still recognize the names of the most significant artists and most famous songs.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I'm pretty sure if I asked people I know who don't like rock music who Led Zeppelin is, they wouldn't know or they'd have a vague, aren't they a rock band or something? I might just do it to see how many people know who they are and if they can at least identify their songs.
              That you surround yourself by people who are equally culturally ignorant as you are would be unsurprising and would prove nothing.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Not just any 40-year-old rock band.

It's like saying "most of the people I know have never heard of the Vietnam War. It was a long time ago".

Comment

You're young, Alby, and I totally get it. And that's fine.

How old do you have to be to learn how to stay out of a thread whose topic you know nothing about????
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

When the guy who did the documentary "It Might Get Loud" introduced his three stars at a film festival, he referred to them as "Jack White, of the White Stripes...The Edge, of U2...and Jimmy Page, of some indie band you probably never heard of." The audience chuckled obediently. Sadly, Al wouldn't have gotten it. Anybody else seen IMGL? I loved it.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Wy did you rule out Houses of the Holy?
                      It has the Rain Song

I am very mad

But, to be sincere, this is a very easy question to answer, the best Led Zeppelin album is IV, and after that album, Houses of the Holy.

edit: I thought you had not included Houses of the Holy in the poll, sorry
                      Last edited by Barnabas; December 3, 2010, 23:00.
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        You're young, Alby, and I totally get it. And that's fine.

How old do you have to be to learn how to stay out of a thread whose topic you know nothing about????
                        Obviously older than Al.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Is Albie being sincere or just trolling? How can you not know Led Zeppelin?
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

Okay I asked a handful of people I know, ages ranged from 22-29 and included African-American and Latino men. Not a single one was familiar with Led Zeppelin on the level where they knew their songs. Knowledge of them ranged from having never heard of them to awareness of them being a rock band but knowing nothing beyond that to, in a single case, someone saying they listened to them when they were 13 and went to private school but they haven't listened to them in 16 years. One guy said that he assumes that the songs are like in the public consciousness (like used in commercials and movies and stuff) but he didn't know any of their songs off-hand.

See, not alone. And it shouldn't be shocking.

Just like I wouldn't be shocked that Jrabbit doesn't know about the discography of any given rapper. Why should he? Why should I know about some old rock music?

Not about being culturally literate unless you define culture as some sort of monolithic, likely mono-ethnic, entity perpetuated by a union of white America and corporate interests. For shame, Boris
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

My daughter is an avid Doors fan. Likes Hendrix and Janis Joplin, and I can assure you, knows of Led Zeppelin.

Comment

What kind of latinos were those? Mexicans? Dominicans? Puertoricans?

I would expect most Mexicans to know Led Zeppelin (perhaps it is different with mexican-americans)
                                I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                                X