Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N35t0r
    replied
    I don't place electrons mainly to avoid having to measure that.

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
    Hmm.. when I said 2P I was referring to 2P0, which is usually drawn along an (arbitrary, I know) z axis.
    And the point is that arbitrariness. That's a function of the measurement you did to place the electron into its eigenstate

Leave a comment:

• DaShi
    replied
    They decayed eons ago.

Leave a comment:

• N35t0r
    replied
    Where are the electron and proton stars, anyway?

Leave a comment:

• DaShi
    replied
    Only neutron stars.

Leave a comment:

• N35t0r
    replied
    Originally posted by DaShi View Post
    Yeah, you can't do that with planets!
    What about stars?

Leave a comment:

• N35t0r
    replied
    Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
    Why do you think that the distribution function is coordinate dependent? You can place an electron in whatever eigenstate of orbital angular momentum you'd like in whatever parametrization is most convenient
    Hmm.. when I said 2P I was referring to 2P0, which is usually drawn along an (arbitrary, I know) z axis.

Leave a comment:

• Aeson
    replied
    I read about that in "Horton Hears a Who"...

Leave a comment:

• DaShi
    replied
    Yeah, you can't do that with planets!

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    Why do you think that the distribution function is coordinate dependent? You can place an electron in whatever eigenstate of orbital angular momentum you'd like in whatever parametrization is most convenient

Leave a comment:

• N35t0r
    replied
    Of course, I'm assuming the galaxy's XY plane is the one on which the spiral is located (And that the galaxy has orbitals, which is a bit more far fetched).

Leave a comment:

• Maniac
    replied
    I was about to say the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    Originally posted by Snotty View Post
    dont the 2nd shell of electrons spin in that shape above the first shell? my A2 chemistry escapes me right now so i cant find the correct search term

edit: i see my post was inspired my n35t0rs
    More generally, it's the shape associated with a number of the azimuthally symmetric spherical harmonics, which are themselves the angular solutions to Laplace's equation. Any central force problem in electrodynamics or classical gravitation has solutions of that form.

Leave a comment:

• Elok
    replied
    "Another option is a gigantic belch from the black hole known to reside, like Jabba the Hutt, at the center of the Milky Way."

I contest the validity of this comparison. While it's been a long time since I watched return of the Jedi, I recall Jabba the Hutt living in a palace on a desert planet in A Galaxy Far Far Away--NOT the center of the Milky Way.

Leave a comment:

• Snotty
    replied
    dont the 2nd shell of electrons spin in that shape above the first shell? my A2 chemistry escapes me right now so i cant find the correct search term

edit: i see my post was inspired my n35t0rs

Leave a comment:

Working...
X