Damn! We're in the ghetto side of the galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn! We're in the ghetto side of the galaxy

At least, the galaxy is dying from rapid energy loss, so it won't really matter for much longer anyway.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Well, either that photo is gazillions of lightyears old (lol LOL), and thus irrelevant, or a fake.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Reminds me of Lexx. Earth was in the Dark Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
        ...or a fake.
        It's probably shopped. I heard it's really hard to take photos from outside the galaxy.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Boobies
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            It's probably shopped. I heard it's really hard to take photos from outside the galaxy.
            On the contrary, it's not hard at all. Getting there, however...
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Boobies
              You see boobies there? Closet hetero.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                On the contrary, it's not hard at all. Getting there, however...
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Oh, I'm supposed to post the articles that go with the pictures now?

November 9, 2010
                  Huge Bubbles of Energy Found at Center of Galaxy
                  By DENNIS OVERBYE
                  Something big is going on at the center of the galaxy, and astronomers are happy to say they don’t know what it is.

A group of scientists working with data from NASA’s Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope said Tuesday that they had discovered two bubbles of energy erupting from the center of the Milky Way galaxy. The bubbles, they said at a news conference and in a paper to be published Wednesday in The Astrophysical Journal, extend 25,000 light years up and down from each side of the galaxy and contain the energy equivalent to 100,000 supernova explosions.

“They’re big,” said Doug Finkbeiner of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, leader of the team that discovered them.

The source of the bubbles is a mystery. One possibility is that they are fueled by a wave of star births and deaths at the center of the galaxy. Another option is a gigantic belch from the black hole known to reside, like Jabba the Hutt, at the center of the Milky Way. What it is apparently not is dark matter, the mysterious something that astronomers say makes up a quarter of the universe and holds galaxies together.

“Wow,” said David Spergel, an astrophysicist at Princeton who was not involved in the work.

“And we think we know a lot about our own galaxy,” Dr. Spergel added, noting that the bubbles were almost as big as the galaxy and yet unsuspected until now.

Jon Morse, head of astrophysics at NASA headquarters, said, “This shows again that the universe is full of surprises.”

One of the most surprised was Dr. Finkbeiner. A year ago he was part of a group led by Gregory Dobler of the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics in Santa Barbara, Calif., that said it had discerned the existence of a mysterious fog of high-energy particles buzzing around the center of the Milky Way. The particles manifested themselves as a haze of extra energy after all the known sources of gamma rays — the most energetic form of electromagnetic radiation — had been subtracted from Fermi data that had recently been made public.

At the time, Dr. Finkbeiner and his colleagues speculated that the haze was produced by dark matter. The center of the galaxy is home to all manner of wild and woolly high-energy phenomena, including a gigantic black hole and violently spinning pulsars, but cosmological theories also suggest that dark matter would be concentrated there. Collisions of dark matter particles, the theory goes, could produce showers of gamma rays.

But in the follow-up analysis, the haze — besides being bigger than Dr. Finkbeiner and his colleagues had thought — turned out to have sharp boundaries, like, well, a bubble. Dark matter, according to the prevailing theory, should be more diffuse.

“Dark matter has been there billions of years,” Dr. Finkbeiner explained. “If something has been going on for billions of years, you wouldn’t expect a sharp edge.”

He and the other scientists said this did not mean that dark matter was not there clogging the center of the galaxy, but that it would be harder to see.

“So this will make it even more difficult than we thought to tease out a dark-matter signal from the inner galaxy,” Dr. Finkbeiner said.

The inquiry, he said by e-mail, grew out of a search for dark matter in the Fermi data from last year. He added, “I have failed to find dark matter, but I got a very pleasant consolation prize!”
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

clearly

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    Oh, I'm supposed to post the articles that go with the pictures now?
                    the remnants of a REALLY BIG SPACE BATTLE
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It's the Galaxy's 2P orbital.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

dont the 2nd shell of electrons spin in that shape above the first shell? my A2 chemistry escapes me right now so i cant find the correct search term

edit: i see my post was inspired my n35t0rs
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

"Another option is a gigantic belch from the black hole known to reside, like Jabba the Hutt, at the center of the Milky Way."

I contest the validity of this comparison. While it's been a long time since I watched return of the Jedi, I recall Jabba the Hutt living in a palace on a desert planet in A Galaxy Far Far Away--NOT the center of the Milky Way.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
                            dont the 2nd shell of electrons spin in that shape above the first shell? my A2 chemistry escapes me right now so i cant find the correct search term

edit: i see my post was inspired my n35t0rs
                            More generally, it's the shape associated with a number of the azimuthally symmetric spherical harmonics, which are themselves the angular solutions to Laplace's equation. Any central force problem in electrodynamics or classical gravitation has solutions of that form.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I was about to say the same thing.
                              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                              X