• Show
Clear All

• Aeson
    replied
    Alchemy = Counterfeit

Leave a comment:

• Hauldren Collider
    replied
    I'm not quite sure why the gold standard actually works. Does it work? It seems to me that the end result would be that gold becomes essentially like dollar bills except it can be used for a small handful of useful things other than exchange.

Leave a comment:

• Elok
    replied
    Yeah, I really can't see myself trusting Orko with my money. Never mind.

Leave a comment:

• N35t0r
    replied
    No. If you paid attention, it's HE-MAN and the masters of the universe. So no, he hasn't worked there.

Leave a comment:

• Elok
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian View Post
    It is a university. It hands out Master of the Universe degrees.

-Arrian
    He-Man worked for Goldman Sachs? They should take advantage with a new ad series: "Let the Power of Greyskull work for your portfolio."

Leave a comment:

• Egbert
    replied
    Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

Calls to revisit the gold standard are not new. Although I think the gold standard would be a very bad idea it does have the advantage that it prevents unrestrained printing of money. Zimbabwe went down the path of unrestrained printing which lead to hyperinflation. Printing all that money was one short term expedient after another with the end result of hyperinflation. This appears to be symptomatic of deeper problems in Zimbabwean political, economic and financial management. Anyway, I would dare to suggest that Zimbabwe may have been better off with the gold standard as this would have acted as a break on all that printiong of money. Apparently things have improved markedly since Zimbabwe "dollarised". The purpose of dollarising is to restore faqith in the currency by amonst other things removing the ability to senselessly prime the pump and tying the currency to something (US$) that is perceived to have value. Umh, that is the the rational behind the gold standard.

Although, I think, the gold standard would not be a good thing, there are worse alternatives. If you have a total lack of confidence in the prudence and integrity of your government and central bank then the gold standard starts to look relatively good.

We have a number of governments in financial distress who may be very tempted to do a spot of printing, and then a bit more printing, and a bit more....

I recall that the Basle Accords have been subject to criticism since even before Basle 1 was agreed. Thre argument about whether a banks first duty is to its shareholders or to its customers seems newish. It had seemed the answert was "the customers" but now I hear bankers claiming their first responsibility is to the shareholders. The debate about how big a "capital cushion" a bank should have may go on for ever and a day. Debate about the amount of risk a bank should be allowed to take with depositors money is valid hence the need to discuss how much regulation should be applied to banks.

Leave a comment:

• Aeson
    replied
    A comprehensive approach: back our currency with greenhouse gases.

GREENbacks

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    The end of fractional reserve banking would do even more than that...

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    A gold standard would do far more damage than we're going to do with greenhouse gas emissions

Leave a comment:

• Guynemer
    replied
    Also in This Week In Bat**** Nuttery:

This guy is now in the running to be chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee:

Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though all inclinations of his heart are evil from childhood and never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done.

As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease.

I believe that is the infallible word of God, and that's the way it is going to be for His creation... The earth will end only when God declares its time to be over. Man will not destroy this earth. This earth will not be destroyed by a flood.
    Last edited by Guynemer; November 10, 2010, 00:04. Reason: nesting quotes

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian View Post

-Arrian
    M.Bs

Leave a comment:

• Cort Haus
    replied
    Hawkwind

Leave a comment:

• Tupac Shakur
    replied
    Nicely said.

Leave a comment:

• Arrian
    replied

-Arrian

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    Because it's a tradition

Leave a comment:

Working...
X