Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever read a book you've wished you could unread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever read a book you've wished you could unread?

Jantar & Adela or something like that, it was horrid.

A simple adventure tale mauled by an inexperienced author.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

The first of the Shannara series. I have a first edition that is probably the only book in my collection that I would ever sell (and I have other Tolkien rip-offs).
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

God, I have to agree there Sell that *****, or use it to light a fire if you can't sell it before you die.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

No, but there are several threads on Poly that I wish I could unread
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Generally, no, because if a book seems like crap, I just don't finish it. The exception is The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman, which I felt compelled to read before my interview for the State Department; it was an unspeakable (and unspeakably long) slog through a swamp of mind-numbing banalities, pseudo-insights, and fatuous self-congratulation. It also never came up at my interview. Even if the time I spent reading it would have been spent playing Civ 3 instead, I still want those hours back.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Thomas Friedman is horrible
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Babbit. Although I only read half of it before my copy was stolen from me one day when I was down at the beach. I'll bet whoever took my stuff that day wishes they could unsteal it.

Comment

Indeed I do

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  Thomas Friedman is horrible
                  It is amazing how much pomposity he can inject into even the most blindingly obvious statements.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I also read books I wish to unwrite
                    Blah

Comment

Every SW EU novel.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                        Every SW EU novel.
                        How many have you read? More than one?

Comment

Kafka's 'Trial' springs to mind. Drove me nuts.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

How many have you read? More than one?
                            A dozen or so probably, I used to buy them for a dollar from this kid down the street when he was done with them.

I figured they would get better. After a point they couldn't possible get worse, right? Wrong.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Not any one book, but there is probably stuff I would like to unlearn if I could.

Comment

Working...
                              X