Apple hates DRM ? | Jobs proposes fee to rip DVDs onto other devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple hates DRM ? | Jobs proposes fee to rip DVDs onto other devices

It's time to revisit the argument that Apple (and Steve Jobs) want nothing more than to abolish DRM.

For years, DRM critics have been arguing that the technology isn’t so much about stopping piracy as it is about taking away traditional fair use privileges and then selling them back to you. …

Apple Wants To Make DRM Extortion Explicit

For years, DRM critics have been arguing that the technology isn't so much about stopping piracy as it is about taking away traditional fair use privileges and then selling them back to you. I've agreed with this for a while, but I never thought I'd see a major DRM vendor admit it so candidly: Steve Jobs has apparently been pitching Hollywood studios on the idea of selling "premium" DVDs that include an iTunes-compatible version of the movie. For an extra $3 or $4, you can buy the privilege of playing your legally-purchased movie on the device of your choice—well, the Apple-manufacturered device of your choice, anyway. Only the DMCA makes this kind of extortion possible. Tools like HandBrake make it possible to convert a DVD to an iPod-compatible format without any help from Apple, but Handbrake is an illegal "circumvention device" under the DMCA. Compare that to the CD, which was developed long before the DMCA and comes without copy protection. The courts have held that "space-shifting" your CDs to a portable music device is a fair use. So you can legally import your CD collection to your iPod, or any other device, without paying a penny. But Steve Jobs apparently wants to charge you $4 for the privilege of doing the same with your DVDs.

How sweet is that? It's pretty fitting to Apple's past MO, too.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Another supporting anecdote: DRM-free tracks cost extra on iTunes, but not on the Zune Marketplace. Also, Zune Marketplace tracks are at 320kbps, whereas iTunes plus are only ~256.

Comment

**** Apple and their DRM and their fees to avoid their DRM.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Another supporting anecdote: DRM-free tracks cost extra on iTunes, but not on the Zune Marketplace. Also, Zune Marketplace tracks are at 320kbps, whereas iTunes plus are only ~256.
        Utorrent is much faster, doesn't cost anything, and never had DRM.

Comment

I prefer to pay for stuff. Also, stuff from downloadable services has better tags.

Comment

What to bet? Most people rip songs from CDs so the title tags are identical.

I myself download before I buy and then if I like it I buy. Especially if it is an indie band who's work I like as I want to support the band.

Comment

Agathon
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I don't even know why people argued that Apple doesn't like DRM. It lets them lock content in to the Apple ecosystem. It's so simple.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                X