Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the New Server!

Apolyton.net is now pointing to the new server. Please let us know if you spot any oddities or have any suggestions for what to add to the site!
See more
See less

Abbreviations I don't like.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

OMGWFTBBQ

Comment

ROFLMFAO
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I have some sort of allergy to the abbrevations used by the United States Armed Forces. Especially the really long ones. For some reason I don't have the same problem with the abbreviations used by for example the soviet union or nazi germany. I guess there's something with the english language that makes for corny abbreviations.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
            Yay! Nested abbreviations. Now we just need recursive, (...)
            I hate recursive abbreviations (e.g. GNU, PHP).
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Yay! Nested abbreviations. Now we just need recursive, and pointers to TIA*s and we're away.

* Three Initialled Acronyms
              The TTP Project
              "tout comprendre, c'est tout pardonner"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                and let's not forget BYOB.
                bring your own bible!

Comment

In the State Department, the more important an office is, the fewer letters in its abbreviation; the most important offices of all are one letter. And State Dept. employees, like all bureaucrats, are addicted to abbreviation. As a result, someone will mention, for example, a conversation they had with Deputy Secretary Negroponte, in which he mentioned that Secretary Rice was directing the Congressional liaison office to promote a new legislative agenda for the Department, but only after department lawyers had cleared on it. The result is something like:

I was talking with D last week, and he said S is ready to move her agenda out of H, once L signs on.
                  People -- pasty-faced people of both sexes in nondescript dark blue suits -- really talk that way here! It's just so, so wrong.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Comment

I love acronyms! (when I'm in the know, anyway)
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                      The TTP Project

Comment

WTFp
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

what is afaik?

the hard part is remembering all these. If it's not something that us used very often, the full form should be written out.

Comment

afaik, afaik = as far as i know

Comment

IIRC, that's right.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

IIUC, SB is at fault.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X