New Theory of Black Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starchild

Your school had a roof? Posh git. We sat at our desks in good weather and under them in bad.
    Wots a desk?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

So what was your old handle DrS? Intgrspin?

Comment

I'll bet there's a bunch of these black holes, the stars that produce them dont live long. Maybe the center of the milky way is home to a cluster of black holes. Would explain the missing mass problem...

Comment

No it wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
            One is QFT, and is more geared towards relativistic physics.
            QFT
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              No it wouldn't.
              They would have to be properly distributed through the galaxy but couldn't black holes still have a long shot role as part of the "missing" dark matter?

Or have WIMPs totally won out over MACHOs?

Comment

Wow - the posters on this thread run the gamut from laughably ignorant (from my point of view) to equally far from me in the other direction. The variety on this forum is incredible.

(KH's working on the first page is roughly at my limit.)

Comment

You mean you didn't read the sylabus?
                  I read it. It wasn't really a cohesive 'sequence' though, right? I could be wrong. I usually think of a QFT sequence containing;

1st;
                  lie algebra, CPT, spinors, twistors, s.symm, Yang-Mills, Higgs, Standard model, GUT's

2nd;
                  path integrals, wick, s-matrix, BRST, gauge theory, renormalization, loops and gauge loops (renormalization, finite theories, parton theory)

That would cover the known basics, I think (it's been a while). A third course might include more squishy 'current research' topics like supergravity and superstrings, maybe in a 'read a paper a week' type format.

Comment

So what was your old handle DrS? Intgrspin?
                    Yeah, that was me in another life. Back when I was a starving grad student who thought he was going to one day rule the world.

Comment

Yeah. One thing is that 2 of my courses dealt many-bodied QFT. Which has some of the things.. but not others (Standard Model and GUT aren't applicable there).

Additionally, for stuff like s. symm, parton thoery, etc.. my Particle Physics courses covered those more then my 'Field Theory' courses (note that the Particle Physics courses, as I said, had a ton of field theory in them).

I think the only thing I might not have covered is BRST from what you listed..

Jon Miller
                      (edit: and that might just be a memory thing... )
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I can think of for a real third course. Stuff like;

Instantons, solitons, abelian gague, anomalies, regularization schemes, pauli-villars etc... and you could probably make a good 2 semesters out of string theory these days.

I covered this stuff in either seminar or independent study, but I could see a course sequence.

No wonder grad school is averaging 8-10 years these days...

Comment

When are you physicists

going to admint that large scale electric currents exist in the universe and that gravity isn't the only force acting at galactic scales?

BTW, I'm also 99.9999999% sure that all black holes are rotating.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

going to admint that large scale electric currents exist in the universe and that gravity isn't the only force acting at galactic scales?
                            I haven't seen any evidence to support that. What makes you guess that?

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                              They would have to be properly distributed through the galaxy but couldn't black holes still have a long shot role as part of the "missing" dark matter?

Or have WIMPs totally won out over MACHOs?
                              He was suggesting that the black holes are all at the center. That wouldn't fix anything.

I'm also pretty sure that the physicists have accounted for "dark" matter when looking for dark matter.

Comment

Originally posted by DrS

I haven't seen any evidence to support that. What makes you guess that?

Just one example:
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X