Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy an android? How much would you be willing to spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Come on Imran.

$5

Comment

I'd buy it

I'd hit it.

etc
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Here's a serious Japanese entry into the robot market...

From the Beeb

Domestic robot to debut in Japan
          Wakamaru robot
          The robot will go on sale in mid-September
          A robot that recognises up to 10 faces and understands 10,000 words is to be offered to Japanese consumers looking for a high-tech helper in the house.

The one-metre tall humanoid Wakamaru robot is being marketed as a mechanical house-sitter and secretary.

Japanese manufacturer Mitsubishi Heavy Industries expects the first robots to go on sale in September.

"This is the opening of an era in which human beings and robots can co-exist," the company said.

The company says the robot can watch over homes while the owners are away, alerting them to possible burglaries.

It can also apparently help monitor the condition of a sick person.

And according to Mitsubishi, the robot can act as a secretary, recording notes and appointments and reminding owners of them with well-timed announcement.

The Wakamaru weighs 30kg (66lb) and is expected to cost 1.58m yen (US$14,300).

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries says it is the first robot with communication ability to be sold for use in the house.

It is powered by rechargeable batteries and moves around on wheels, Japan's Kyodo news agency reports.
          Attached Files
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I would not buy one because Will Smith would shoot all of them.

Comment

Depends on if it is as good looking as Sean Young in Blade Runner.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

A robot to cook, clean, and provide entertainment?

Isn't that why God invented wives?
                "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Yeah, but aren't you gay?

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                    A robot to cook, clean, and provide entertainment?

Isn't that why God invented wives?
                    Nerds have always had a hard time finding one.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      Yeah, but aren't you gay?
                      TEF is gay?
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Comment

I'm actually neither gay nor a nerd.

I'm not quite sure why I post here.
                          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

That's quite all right, you don't need to be a nerd to want a robot. OTOH, not all nerds want to buy robots. Many of us want to build them because that's fun. But wasting money? Nah

Comment

I would love a robot to do all the manual tasks. I'd pay 2000 USD easy, if it would have a long lifetime, and wouldn't be too hungry on electricity.

Oh, and please don't make them humanoid, it's just creepy, and way too loserlike/realdoll/etc.

One day, when we achieve mind-machine interface, and we could upload our brains into computers, and download our computers into our brains, then sure. I don't mind. But until then, I'd rather not.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I will buy an android when it is as good as Commander Data. With fully functional sex organs. But I'd have to disable the programming that makes Data act like a sentient independent thinking being. I'd want the android to be my slave.

Comment

Working...
                                X