American football: USC's Norm Chow leaves for the Titan's OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American football: USC's Norm Chow leaves for the Titan's OC

Will this be the end of the USC offensive juggernaut? Will Tennessee wow 'em next year on the offense side of the ball? Either way, this has potentially some BIG impacts!

Offensive guru Norm Chow is leaving Southern California for the Tennessee Titans, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

Norm Chow will leave USC for the Tennessee Titans, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

Chow, 58, reportedly accepted an offer from Titans coach Jeff Fisher on Tuesday to become the team's offensive coordinator, a position that will pay him nearly $1 million annually plus incentives. This would be Chow's first job in the NFL after 32 seasons at Brigham Young, North Carolina State and USC.

"I'm fired up -- it's an exciting opportunity to get into the highest level of football," Chow told the newspaper. "But my family is very, very sad to leave USC because it's been such a great run."

A press conference to announce Chow's hiring is expected Wednesday, the newspaper reported.

"They're taking a chance on a college guy, and I'm grateful for that," Chow told the Times.

Chow interviewed Friday with the Titans. Chow met in Nashville with Fisher, a USC alumnus, quarterback Steve McNair and other members of the Titans organization before returning to Los Angeles Friday night.

"The thing I'll miss the most is the players, the coaches and the fan base," Chow told the Times in a telephone interview. "It's such a unique place. I'm grateful to Pete Carroll for just giving us the opportunity to be a part of that."

Chow was considered the leading candidate to replace Mike Heimerdinger, who left to serve in the same capacity with the New York Jets

Chow is one of the highest-paid assistant coaches at the college level, earning about $500,000 a year. But it's widely known that Chow longs to run his own program -- an opportunity that would enable him to become his sport's first Asian-American head coach.

Chow has had only three known interviews for college head-coaching positions -- at Kentucky, Arizona and Stanford.

Arizona chose Mike Stoops, the brother of Oklahoma coach Bobby Stoops, a year ago, and Stanford picked Walt Harris three weeks ago.

"Very disappointing," Chow said of not being selected by Stanford. "But it lasted all of about two minutes. What can you do?"

His name came up again when Paul Pasqualoni was fired as the coach at Syracuse by new athletic director Daryl Gross, who left his post as associate athletic director at USC.

"I just think it's the wrong thing for me to pluck someone out of the program I just left," Gross said at the time. "That would be inappropriate."

Syracuse later hired Texas co-defensive coordinator Greg Robinson.

Chow has helped groom Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart into Heisman Trophy winners at USC where the Trojans have won the national title the past two seasons. He spent 27 years at Brigham Young working with quarterbacks such as Heisman Trophy winner Ty Detmer, Steve Young and Jim McMahon -- a former teammate of Fisher's.

He left after the 1999 season and spent one year at North Carolina State, working with standout quarterback Philip Rivers. He was hired by the Trojans before the 2001 season.

Chow is the fifth assistant to leave USC since their championship season ended.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

That's really interesting. I think Carroll is too good to be killed by this, however. His teams have overachieved, and he's still putting together top 5 recruiting seasons.

TN, on the other hand, has underachieved. Even if they have the best recruiting classes, I don't think I will go broke by betting against them.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Norm Chow was the genius behind USC's offense. I've watched his offenses most of his career.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

USC won their titles because of Carroll's defense, not Chow's offense. I'm sure this will hurt them somewhat, but they'll still be a force to reckon with for years to come.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

TITANS !!
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
          X