• Show
Clear All

• Micha
    replied
    I´d be in, too.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    I'm game for anything. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to play two at once.

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    I'm here to take the pulse of the participants here and there...

Who would be up for a second game to run in addition to cider's dark ages scenario?

Specifically, I was thinking of an alternate history colonization/early industrial ages setting where north african and Asian states are supreme, colonizing/exploiting Europe and the new world.
    But as always, I'm game for just about anything.

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    BP alone might not, but if the factions continued as Carthage vs. Egypt, Persia, and Macedonia.... Well, if the stock market was around back then, I'd sell Carthage short. I had some evidence that Rome might enter the war on our side, too, although I don't know what the double agent factor was on that one, since I know Laurentius was communicating with Carthage too, and I don't know which of us he was lying to.

So... speaking of NESes dying, people need to give me orders.

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    I agree with LN here, bp. You almost certainly wouldn't destroy more than half his empire, nor Carthage itself.

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    Bipolar, if Micha starts the NES again, I will make you an avatar bet that you will not destroy the majority of my empire, or Carthage itself.

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    I would much rather train two divisions of musket infantry and attach heavy artillery bataillons to them than upgrade my army to "medium"...
    I couldn't agree more.

No, he just does stupid stuff. Different kind of random.
    Oh come off it Nuclear, you're just sore about how bad Persia had you.

each player country must face a handful of issues, some short term and some long term that will have serious negative detriments if not addressed and positive benefits if they are handled successfully. With a bit of luck the historical setup will be such that the players are forced to interact with each other right off the bat.
    You've hit the nail on the head. My problem with some NES's is that there isn't really a reason for any wars to start (and that is one of the better parts of the game) so sometimes we have to create our own reasons to fight which really cuts down on the fun factor.

I dunno, I tried CFC for a while, and there were a couple big problems with it, in my mind. The first and most obvious one is that everyone there wants to mod, and then drop out of every game they're playing in when they decide to mod a new game. This leads to lots of people dropping out of an NES by about the third turn, which kills the mood.

The other problem with CFC is that everyone gets really, really bogged down in historical correctness, and NESes turn into nothing but a citing contest, as everyone goes nuts trying to prove that a particular model of tank came out in a given year.
    That is exactly why I never got involved with CFC. I lurked for a while but their style was just a bit off, plus they seemed to have a bit of a mech fascination.

Icarus, as far as names go, I'd have to say that an NES isn't always historical so most of the names you suggested don't appear to completely fit.
    It seems that the real goal in the games is conquest. Something along the lines of a Conquest Scenario or Conquest Simulation might fit a bit better.

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    I have come up against very few players who weren't rather predictable.

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    Originally posted by appleciders
    I dunno, BP gives you both a run for your money in terms of randomness.
    No, he just does stupid stuff. Different kind of random.

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    I'm not very fond of the term "NES" myself, as it's not accurate, descriptive, or unique, but it's from before my time and the name has stuck. I would not at all object to a naming convention shift...
    There was a period of time when NESes were located in the civ3 stories section, and apparently annoyed some of the storyers because degenerate threads clogged their forum or some such.

History Development Incidents Events Advancement Progress Scenario Creative Innovations Inventions Imaginative Inspiration Reenactment Renewal Rekindling Revitalization Cooperative Collaborative Organization Company Union Society Narrative Fantasy Whimsy Fancy Conjuration Notion Whim Story Tale Yarn Legend Chronicle Joint Exercise

Cooperative History Narrative
    Combined History Narrative
    Collaborative History Narrative
    Historical Scenario Innovation
    Imaginative Historical Scenario
    Collaborative History Narrative
    Immersive History Development
    Cooperative Creative History Chronicle

Anything jump out at anyone?
    Last edited by foolish_icarus; October 19, 2005, 04:10.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    Thanks, icarus. That's certainly a doable rate for me.

This really does need a name change; when I clicked the button and saw "stories and diplomacy" I frowned, made a guttural growling sound, and immediatly thrashed at the forum jump bar to get me out. Then I saw "NES" and thought it was some Nintendo afficianado group, which I thought at the very least might be entertaining to read. Imagine my surprise when it turned out completely different...

"Never Ending Stories" has always seemed like an odd name to me, but maybe it's because I've been taught to look down on them as inferior from my time spent in the stories forum. Nobody there seems to like them very much...

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied

Updates occur at a set interval or whenever the mod has the time and the orders necessary to do it. An update every three days would be an unusually fast turn rate. 7-8 days is more average, but it can stretch longer. Part of what we're trying to address is the bottlenecks on play that happen because of either the players or the mod. It can be best for the mod to just forge ahead to keep the game going, but when your number of players can be counted on a pirate's hand, the mod can often find himself forging on alone.

Leave a comment:

• Cyclotron
    replied
    Originally posted by foolish_icarus
    Will do. How'd you find this forum? It might help us figure out how to bring in more participants.
    To be perfectly honest, I tried to click on "other games," but a picture must have loaded while I was clicking, and I hit this instead. Call it serendipity, I guess.

One thing you'll find about this forum is that we're always ready to have someone join in the middle of a game. Anytime, just notify us that you're picking up any NPC nation.
    Will check it out, thanks.

I do have one question - how long is the usual time between updates? Is that something that changes, or is that set by the "mod?"

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    I dunno, BP gives you both a run for your money in terms of randomness.

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    Originally posted by foolish_icarus
    when and why? He announced he was leaving some time back, said it would probably be for a while, and then...?
    (I don't like it when pristine threads get screwed up with post deletions) . That and Tass is gone Athenikia, come back to us! I promise I will continue to fund your entirely unjustified civil expansion projects and listen good heartedly to your obviously fabricated conspiracy discoveries!
    Very complicated story, most of which I'm not at liberty to tell you, for various reasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X