Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bipolarbear
    replied
    Upkeep is hard to do, basically I´d say it´s enough to replenish them frequently, which costs money. Also many nations would have special boni:
    Athens (Attic Federation) would get a huge morale bonus when defending their homelands, plus many armed citizens joining the army in that case.
    Persia would get tributes from the provinces it controls, each turn!
    Sparta would have elite troops, best land warfare skills in the area.
    Carthage would have a high trade income, but the army would be more expensive (only mercaneries), maybe it would have the only army that demands upkeep.
    Rome would get an offensive bonus, or maybe leaders, or just cheaper troops.
    I don't mind the economic thing, but the special troops, and stuff is taking it a tad too far, at least for me. If everyone else is game for it, then I'll still play.

Persia to Macedon and Lydia

We only seek to take back wha tbelongs to the Persian people. We are in the midst of an inner turmoil, and we feel that to truly unite the people of Persia, we need all fo them. We do not wish to be violent. Should the Egyptian territories wish to form a strong alliance with Persia, we would much rather do so.

Persia to Lydia, and Ionia

Persia would like to appeal to to Ionia, and Lydia, to ally with them to promote worldwide peace. To show them our good faith, we would like delgates to attend a special Peace Festival on the wonderful Island of Cypros. To attract the countries to the Pece Festival, we have invited the world famous actor
    Morgan Freeman to atend hte conference.

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    Hope you can join soon Nylan.

325 to 321 BC

King Antigonus of Macedon had worked long and hard to gain power and he was not about to let any of it slip away. The diplomatic situation was stable for the time being, but events threatened to once again throw the region into chaos sometime soon. Even more pressing was the situation at home. The countryside nobles stubbornly held onto every scrap of influence they could, sometimes perpetrating actions on the verge of open rebellion. They had been ironed out under Antigonus’ two predecessors, Philip and Alexander, but in the period of chaos following Alexander’s death they had picked up some of their “bad habits” again. Now it was time to rule . Following Philip’s example, which had lapsed during Alexander’s short reign and the period afterwards, Antigonus reintroduced the system of selection for officials : The king would appoint the most capable and loyal, to better control his populace and his wayward nobles. Antigonus also had a knack for playing enemy aristocrats against each other. The disobedient would be penalized, and the loyal would be rewarded at the disobedient’s expense. In this way power was moving more firmly into the hands of the throne and being executed by a more capable staff of bureaucrats.
    Antigonus also drilled the army rigorously and sent them on tasks to keep them both capable and firmly under his control.
    Macedonia is also sending delegates to treat with the barbarian tribes to the north, to discover their strengths, weaknesses, and relations with neighboring tribes in order to be able to exploit and manipulate any advantages in the future. In aid of this and other diplomatic relationships, Antigonus has expanded the embassorial corps, both to keeo a pulse on other nations...and to watch over things at home.

Macedon to Graecia Magna :

We both hold strategic positions in this world of ours, threatened by adversaries but also holding key tactical and trade locations. For the benefit of both of us, we suggest a military and naval alliance, to better cement our security.

To Lydia :

Hello. Persia stirs again, so shortly after she was last beaten. Do you want to be enslaved again? Do you want to be enslaved again? Persia already bites at Egypt, and has shown a ready inclination to come our direction. We propose and alliance to fend off against any enemies. Perhaps we could also increase our trade in order to strengthen the coffers of our kingdoms?

To Athens :

At odds with the rest of Greece, you are weak. Join an alliance with us, and Sparta will not be able to challenge you, and you

Leave a comment:

• Nylan-Nolan
    replied
    Hi guys, sorry i've been off for a while. I was (and still am) sorta...er...exiled from the internet. In fact, I still am now! ! Hopefully, this exile will end soon, and, when it does, I would be delighted to join (if it's not over by then).

P.S. I like the Hellenistic NES idea. It's the best age for wars and contentions .

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    It’s your prerogative, Micha. I like the map but my vote as a player is against the numbered stats/numbered driven economy. I don’t like them, they’re too rigid and not as indicative.

Leave a comment:

• Micha
    replied
    You should really have a look at that NES on Strategic Command Center, it has implemented the troops and economy. It works perfectly and the maths needed are limited to simple addition
    (The link is in my signature, but you may have to register there...)

As for the army numbers: It´s no problem to get them. I already have founds army composition of Persia and Macedonia at this time. Since Athens and Sparta weren´t independent anymore IRL, I would just guess some realistic numbers based on what they contributed to Alexander´s army.

Upkeep is hard to do, basically I´d say it´s enough to replenish them frequently, which costs money. Also many nations would have special boni:
    Athens (Attic Federation) would get a huge morale bonus when defending their homelands, plus many armed citizens joining the army in that case.
    Persia would get tributes from the provinces it controls, each turn!
    Sparta would have elite troops, best land warfare skills in the area.
    Carthage would have a high trade income, but the army would be more expensive (only mercaneries), maybe it would have the only army that demands upkeep.
    Rome would get an offensive bonus, or maybe leaders, or just cheaper troops.

There are many possibilities...

-Should we continue this NES in this thread? With old rules or the new ideas? What map should we use? Or shall I open a new thread "Advanced Hellenistic NES"?

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    persia sends 2 thirds of its army to take back egypt.

OOC:
    Regarding the actual numbers hting. I like that idea a olt, but it could get quite complex. You'll have to supply the numbers, for my army, b/c it would aboviously be unfair of me to create my own.
    Can we just limit it to troop numbers? I don't wna to specify how much of each kind of soldier, boat, etc. that I have. I like NES, not math
    I like the currency thing too. I think that introducing some form of economics into this would really add to the fun.

Leave a comment:

• Micha
    replied
    Originally posted by bipolarbear
    Persia asks its people(mod) as to what their demands are to keep them fro mrevolting.
    The area of the Persian empire hosts too many ethnic groups to name them. All of them want to break free in order to regain their former independence, but none of them is strong enough to really threaten the empire alone. However, a good part of the Persian army (which is the largest in the world) should always stay home, for a garrisoned province isn´t very likely to break apart.
    Only the province of Egypt has managed to get out of Xerxes´ grip, and it now is independant. Maybe the Persian emperor shouldn´t let that go through... At least the Egyptian coastline is still under Persian control, but for how long?

OOC
    When I went through several historical maps, I realized that Carthage at that time owned southern Spain, the Baleares, most of North Africa and Sardinia, even parts of Sicily. Why is it so small in your map, Foolish? Also Lydia is way too large in your map. two third of it should be Macedonia...

Map I made, with proposed expand of Carthage and Persia, Reworked Rome and Lydia, marked province borders in case of rebels or tribute and basically many changes to the original map. s it acceptable?

And another thing:
    Could we perhaps change the army and navy statistics into real numbers? I´ve seen it work perfectly, and it would allow for much more things to do!
    example:
    "1st Persian Battlefleet" - Straits of Athens - 25 galleys
    "Athens Defence Corps" - Athens - 3,500 hoplites; 800 archers
    Also we could introduce some kind of currency, allowing for better control of orders. So, for example, you could build several ships AND train some troops in the same turn, while building a fort on the border... Each country would get its own income, which can fluctuate due to trade, metal deposits and captured/looted enemy wealth. Only the mods would be able to change income... While the players can encourage it by writing good stories.

Have a look at the SCC NES (link in my signature, "Age of Explorations") to see a working model of that kind...

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    Persia asks its people(mod) as to what their demands are to keep them fro mrevolting.

Leave a comment:

• Micha
    replied
    Carthage, 325 b.c.

Log of the "Pytusis", cpt. Hanno
    Day 11. We have just passed the pillars of Hercules. Still, we didn´t fall off the edge of the world. The land to the north looks promising. It´s not that fertile, but rich in metals and whool. Expedition Counsil decided to return to Carthage to report the discovery. I won´t return. Not yet...

Carthage
    After the reports about the rich lands to the West, many citizen signed up for the colonization fleet. Twenty-seven galleys - fine, black phoenician warships - were loaded in the huge harbour of Carthage. Half of them were stuffed with building material and food. Well, not really food, but living chickens, pigs and other domesticated animals.
    As the sun rose, the fleet set sail to the West. None of the 1300 colonists on board planned to ever return home...

Gades, Iberia, 323 b.c.
    Life wasn´t that bad for the Gadese, though they still lacked some of the comforts of Carthage. But who really needs arenes? The people here had better things to do than attending horse races... Mining copper, for example. Lots of copper.
    Only 14 months after the foundation of Gades, just west of the pillars of Hercules, the small colonial town had turned into a prospering harbour. Roughly 8,000 people claimed the title "Gadese", a good junk of them were working in the copper mines. Almost daily the huge Cartharginian trading ships entered the port, unloaded tons of wheat and whool, loaded metals and left for the capital again...
    As of now, no natives have been spotted along the Iberian coast. Though some say there were savage tribes hiding in the mountains, ready to massacre anyone in sight. Though the same people also say they had slain the Calodonian boar themselves...

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    Oh, btw thanks for helping us get this off the ground tass

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    LENIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Nubclear
    replied
    OK, OK...I'll take athens, so I can always ponder deep philisophical questions such as "Lenin....or Stalin?"

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    You think I know anything period? I tried to make Mexico an illeterate Aztec country in 2010 for christ(Lenin)'s sake!

You don't need to know about history. Just, how to post. And what does it matter about hte stats? Don't be such a friggin ***** tass, come on, jsut join for a little bit, to get it off the ground.

Leave a comment:

• Nubclear
    replied
    But there are two things:

1. The stats aren't all that different.
    2. I know nothing about ancient history.

Leave a comment:

• bipolarbear
    replied
    Or maybe you should join tass, and make it interesting. So you can't play as China or Russia, but you cna still change your nation to communist, who knows, maybe the GCC will be recreated. Just give it a chance
    AND YOUR UNDYING SUPPORT!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X