Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    Well no, the terrain would be the oil field in the picture, and the factory would be the improvement. The way the graphics are set up in Civ2 the factory is layered on top of the oil field. Nothing is being made invisible per say, only layered upon. The pink part in the factory tile is of course the see through color used throughout the units, and terrain images. You just gotta make sure you don't cover up anything that is vital to identifying a terrain square.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmywax
    replied
    An excellent idea, but doesn't the terrain underneath now become invisible?

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    A quick illustration from some terrain that's already been posted.

Please excuse the discoloration. I'm working without PSP for the time being so my new gifs are being a pain.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Palaiologos
    replied
    Oh..

I see.

That is a rather splendid idea actually.

good job!

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    Not simpler really. It's all about strategic placement of your graphics. You can pretty much do this with any kind of graphic, hi-res, Nemo-esque, you name it.

Picture this: Let's say you've replaced the normal Civ2 "buffalo" resource with a custom resource called "oil fields" and the "mine" improvement with "factory". The "oil fields" consist of a a few derricks on the left of the diamond and a oil tank on the right. The "factory" improvement consists of a building with some smokestacks. The oil field looks nice by itself, but when a settler puts a "factory" on the oil field diamond you suddenly have a factory overlapping the oil derricks and the oil tank, creating a terrain diamond that is not all that realistic looking or aesthetically pleasing. Plus, the "factory" may hide the fact that the diamond has a valuable resource underneath it.

The solution? Map out beforehand how the different graphics will look when they are grouped on the same terrain diamond. Instead of having the "factory" appear smack in the middle of the diamond why not place it off to the side where the oil tank is located? When the oil field is mined the "factory" graphic will overlap the tank, creating the look of a orderly, bustling industrial area. Both the resource and the mine graphic are clearly represented, plus you have just created a schnazzy little piece of eye candy for your scenario.

You can even add another addition to this mix. Let's say you want to protect this valuable piece of property from your enemies, so you build the "fortress" improvement on the terrain diamond. Since you thought ahead, the fortress seemlessly overlaps part of the diamond, replacing some grassy area from the "oil field" and a parking lot from the "factory" without compromising the objects represented on the diamond. A few sandbags next to a derrick, a fence next to the factory and suddenly you have a cool looking fortified industrial area.

The only trick is that you have to figure out how exactly universal improvements like your mine and fortress will overlap all the terrains that you can posibly build them upon.

Bottom line: More eye-candy, easier terrain recognition, and it just looks cool.

Other ideas: For a "Vineyard"-like scenario - A "fruit orchard" terrain square containing rows of fruit trees. The mine improvement could be changed to a bunch of workers with ladders and baskets. When the improvement is built on the diamond the result would look like the orchard is being harvested and men are actually climbing up to pick the trees. In essence the new graphic would look like there is action in the orchard instead of there just being a bunch of trees.

Neat huh?
    Last edited by Harry Tuttle; July 13, 2003, 20:28.

Leave a comment:

• Palaiologos
    replied
    But seriously now, i am afraid i haven't clearly understood that terrain module thing.

I hope you don't mean that you will make terrain graphics simpler and cruder and thus better identifiable.

Leave a comment:

• Palaiologos
    replied
    Duh Harry, could've told you that one.

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    New Graphic Nuance

Well, I was working on finishing the terrain, which is now 99% finished, and I thought of something. A good scenario not only should have great gameplay, but great graphics too.

Now, I know what your saying: "Duh Harry, could've told you that one", but think about it. How many scenarios out there truly take advantage of Civ 2's graphic overlay when applying terrain? Have you ever built a fortress over a mine, which is over some sort of resource? Can't quite see all three very clearly, can you?

So many designers try to cram all these nice looking graphics into their scenarios, but then have them get blurred as players build up their territory. My solution: Terrain Modules. By simply designing the terrain to seamlessly integrate any scenario can can have top notch terrain that the player can both see, appreciate, and understand without having to resort to identifying the different layers with the cursor.

Just a little something I've done with my terrain. Hope you like it.

Leave a comment:

• jim panse
    replied
    look good, Harry *pookseyesout*

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    ScreenShot!

A little something to wet your palette. A group of American fighters try to fend off an attack on a petroleum field by some advanced Nazi bombers and fighters!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    Update:

Terrain 1 & 2- 80%
    Units - 50%
    Map - 100%
    Events - 70%
    Icons - 60%
    Cities - 0%

It's a comin'!

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    It's going ok. The cities are almost entirely placed and the missions have been hammered out. I could have a complete graphics set by now, but I want to make a few more custom units.

I've decided that I will indeed release this monster in three parts. A Nazi Germany single player scenario will be the first installment, followed by an American, then British version. The missions will differ for all the installments, giving a unique perspective for all three sides.

Keep checking back for updates...

Leave a comment:

• curtsibling
    replied
    How is it going, Harry?

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    Ok, latest version. European cities have been marked by jungle terrain (which will be removed once the cities are actually placed). Tomorrow, I'll make a go at the rest of the world's cities. The terrain has been redone with the realistic placement of a few Asian rivers, and a Westernly movement of the Urals. Here's the latest.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Harry Tuttle
    replied
    Little Update:

1. Retooling the map so that it is more accurate. I'm sure a good many Europeans on the forums found a few lakes where they shouldn't have been, and a few peninsulas where their grandmother's home is.

2. Working on finding a decent wav editor so that I can put actual mission briefings in the game. Your commander will keep you abreast of the enemies movements and plots through actual voice communication! I think it will be a nice addition.

One more thing I was thinking about. Does anyone know if there is some way to create a "console" program to run alongside Civ2 so that little extras like pictures and sounds popup at certain turns? Maybe just a Visual Basic program where a player can click a button to keep the little extras in synch with the scenario. Or maybe a beefed up program that can also act like a BAT program, closing Civ2 and updating the events and units file at certain points in the game? Anyone ever tried this?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X