• Show
Clear All

• Ecthy
    replied
    Ever got round to doing this?

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    This was a cool game. I'm going to have to reinstall EU2, play as Ethiopia and transfer the game to Victoria. The idea of an advanced African Christian Kingdom seems cool to me.

Leave a comment:

• tombom
    replied
    Sorry. Didn't notice that o

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    As stated in the first post I might have to use Difrules in my first war. I detailed when and where it was used.

Leave a comment:

• tombom
    replied
    Why do you have difrules cheat on at one point?

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Here is south east Africa. I've got trading posts covering the old Zanjjian inland areas plus I picked up Lindi south of Zanjj but I am unable to go further south. Something must be done because I really want to convert the pagans of south-east Africa to my culture & religion plus I want those gold fields. I also got an unexpected discovery event which gave me a weapon's manufactury in Kenya.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Here is north-east Africa along with the southern middle east. I've diplo-annex Nubia and I wrote a costum event which gives Ethiopia Nubian culture along with cores over Nubia and the Ethiopian cultured provinces next to Ethiopia's starting seven provinces. Some might consider that cheating but I doubt anyone would contend Nubian is a strong culture to have plus I will write it in as a good part of the story. In my mind it makes sense that the only two nonmuslim countries in this part of the world would would unify in the face of the larger enemy especially if one of those countries proves to be a large and growing power. I've also gone to war with Zanjj burning their trading posts, so I could later pick them up myslef, and taking all three of their provinces besides their capital.

Eventually my goal is to get down into Zimbabwe and Zhosa so I can convert them but I will have to figure out how to do that. Eventually I can move towards land tech and hope for a conquistador but that is a long way off so trading maps with Portuagal might be the best way to go.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    In India & central Asia things are going as you'd expect other than the fact I've conquored Isfahan and gained a revolter in Hormuz. Dehli remains the big kid on the block, The Persians have revolted and the Tamerids are a shadow of their former self. Gujarat keeps growing much to my consternation; I'd love to see them reduced to a one province minor so I could pick up their CoT.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    In eastern Europe Lithuania has become a real dominant power expanding to the east, south, and north. Moscow is having trouble unifying the Russian minors while the golden horde seems to be holding its own though Astrakan has revolted to form a one province minor wih a CoT. Byzantium still exists as a one province minor though it recently canceled it's vassalation to the Ottomans; I don't expect them to survive much longer though I've been helping them with gifts and the odd royal marriage. Lastly, Hungery (who is normally a paper tiger) has become the dominant power in the balkans.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Before I write the AAR I thought I would show you all a preview of what the world looks like in 1500. France is more or less unified, England has captured half of Scotland while Spain(!) took part of Scotland, Ireland has declared independence from England and has it's capital in Dublin. Spain is unified except for revolters in Catalonia. Hungery and Bavaria have teamed up to destroy Austria! While Venice is expanding in the Balkans.

Here is western Europe.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Screen shot after colonizing the vacant pieces of land near Ethiopia and waging my war against the Mameluks. Nile and Cataract have been captured and difrules is turned off right after this shot was taken.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Ok, here is the starting screen shot as a .jpg. Please notice how isolated Ethiopia is; I know two other countries and one center of trade. Nubia knows about 2 more map areas that I don't so they're no help that just leaves the Mameluks. Thus if I want to expand my map I must capture Cairo preferably before the Byzantines get killed so I can also trade maps with them.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jonny
    replied
    Nice start, though I don't have anything to tell you, because I've never played Ethiopoia before (well, no more than 30-40 years).

Oh, and attach your images as .JPEGs or .GIFs instead of .BMPs; that way the pictures will appear in the thread as opposed to having to open the picture in a seperate thread in order to see it.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Game Notes: With control of two centers of trade I finally have a bit of money to play with. My goals from here are 1) keep researching towards governors so I can control my inflation (which is already around 11% even after a few "good year" events which lowered inflation), to conquor Isfahan or possibly Gujarat, to diplo-annex Nubia, and to begin working my way down the African coast. I'd also like to build an art center in my capital but we shall see.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    The Period of Expansion between 1432-1468.

The war with the Mameluks left the national treasury empty and most of the Army had to be disbanded because the state could not afford to pay their salaries. Clearly, something needed to be done to improve the national economy. To this end all of the state’s resources were dedicated to researching improvements in infrastructure with only a small amount used to raise taxes to pay for the much reduced army.

Mean while, ambassadors are dispatched throughout the Christian world in an attempt to end Ethiopia’s long isolation. Most of the national’s of Europe prove themselves to be indifferent to our remote Kingdom but special attention is paid to Byzantium. The Eastern Roman Empire is truly a shadow of its former glory with the Ottomans capturing everything except for Thrace itself. Even the Emperor has been forced to bend his knee and become the Sultan’s vassal. It is degrading to see the seat of Orthodoxy power reduced to such a state but perhaps this will prevent Byzantium from being completely conquered by the Turks.

Knowing how far behind Ethiopia is compared to the rest of the world Young King Endreyas repeatedly sends gifts to the Byzantine Emperor and finally the Greek’s agree to share the secrets of their learning with us. From the mighty city of Constantinople come maps which allow us to learn of the far northern parts of Europe, we also gratefully receive copies of ancient Greek plays & philosophy, treatise on mathematics & engineering, and most valuably great works of history and poetry. A marriage between Endreyas and the youngest niece of the Byzantine Emperor is also arranged but all people are not happy with the young Endreyas’s rule.

May of the nobles are restless at the reductions in the army and many feel that the money spent on gifts to the far off Greeks would have been better spent at home. King Endreyas is especially challenged by his uncle Zar’a Yaqob Quastantin. Endreyas does his best to maintain power but every time he turns around his scheming uncle has convinced more and more of the nobles to back his bid on the throne. Finally when his uncle leads a mob of rebellious nobles into the royal palace Endreyas has no choice but to abdicate in favor of his uncle and Endreyas, along with his Greek wife, retire to a life of religious reflection at a monastery in the Ethiopian highlands.

Once Quastantin seized power he immediately began drawing up plans for military expansion but first he would need money. Quastantin began appointing tax collectors in every province of the Empire; this took several years to complete and he was repeatedly distracted by rebellions in Cataract and Nile but eventually every province was upgraded. Next he began work on a small navy and began increasing the size of the army and to appease the nobles he changed government policy to greater favor the noblemen who had put him in power (Nobility +1). Once everything was ready Quastantin used the excuse of a diplomatic insult sent by the King of Oman to declare war upon Oman.

Oman’s trading posts in Socotra, Bahrain, Qatar, and Dammon were burned and the Omani capital of Mascate was besieged. Finally when Muscate was taken the navy was carefully routed (so as to avoid the superior and more numerous Omani navy) to the island of Zanzibar. Eventually peace is made with Oman in exchange for Zanzibar and 100 gold pieces. Ethiopia had conquered its first center of trade!

Next trading posts were constructed in Socotra, Dammon and Bahrain (but the Omanis beat us to Qatar) and the colonies on the horn of Africa were upgraded to cities. While that was going on the Army, minus a small garrison force kept in Zanzibar, was once again moved into Egypt. When all was ready Quastantin launched an unprovoked invasion of the Mameluks. The war lasted for five years most of which were spent avoiding the larger Mameluk armies and attacking the inexperienced newly constructed armies. Several times the provinces of Nile and Cataract were taken by the Mameluks but each time we were able to retake them with the help of our loyal Nubian allies. Eventually the Mameluks agree to peace with Ethiopia in exchange for Alexandria. Ethiopia had taken a second CoT and Alexandria’s port on the Mediterranean would act is Ethiopia’s window upon the rest of the Christian world.

Soon after the end of the war gifts and letters were sent to the court of the Nubian king and eventually Quastantin’s diplomatic efforts paid off and the Nubia’s agreed to even deeper ties to Ethiopia in the form of vassalation. It was during this time period that the secret to constructing brewing manufactories was completed but Ethiopia lacked the money needed to construct such a manufactory. The rest of Quastantin’s reign was spent attempting to integrate his conquests into the rest of the Kingdom as the state was frequently forced to spend all the money it had maintaining armies to fight the frequent rebellions in Egypt and Zanzibar. In 1468 King Quastantin died alone and unwed in the royal palace but history will likely record him as one of the greatest conquerors in Ethiopian history.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X