Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And yet another "What game should I get" poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet another "What game should I get" poll!

Got a new computer, G-force 4, 1.3gig Athlon, 80gig HD, 512meg DDR RAM, etc. etc. etc. Given that my previous machine is a 333Mhz P-3 (or P-2, it's been a while) with a Voodoo 2, I'm looking forward to actually getting a newer game with some pretty good eye candy.

My requirements are simple:

1. It's gotta look good.
    2. It's gotta be relatively simple - I do not want to learn how to fly a jet, I do not want to learn advance battle tactics. Shooters would be fine, as would sports (especially driving) games.
    3. Multi-player is not important - I have better things to do than get my arse spanked by some 15 year old kid on the net. Conversely, this means that a good solo game is paramount.
    4. The ability to play in small chunks of time would be good - I don't want to start a game knowing that I can't move from the computer for 3 hours.
    5. Did I mention eye candy?
    6. All I've played lately are strat games (they're relatively easy on the system specs). So while SimGolf might be a great game, it's not what I'm looking for. And, anyway, I will be getting MOO3 when it comes out...
    7. I don't give a crap about cost - if it is currently going for $50, that's OK.
    8. For those of you who select "other" keep in mind the following: RPG's are OK, but I really don't know if I'll bother to slog through a 150 hour FedEx quest.

All right! Though I have subscribed to PC Gamer for years, I'm leaving it up to you folk to tell me what to get. Try not to steer me wrong.
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    75.00%
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    5.00%
    Aliens vs. Predator 2
    0.00%
    Links 2003
    0.00%
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
    0.00%
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    0.00%
    Other (Please post)
    20.00%

Of those listed, I've played GTA III and RtCW, and I preferred GTA III quite a bit. RtCW is fun while it lasts, but the game ends too quickly and it's got no replayability -- it's got decent multiplayer, but so what? GTA III is a better single-player game, and it's good for blowing off steam for a few minutes (jack a car and run over pedestrians for awhile).

I'd also recommend Alice. It's a bit older (and a bit cheaper) than those listed, but it's pretty wigged out and a load of fun.

Deus Ex and Thief (II) are also two slightly older games that I'd recommend, except that it can be a bit difficult to take a break halfway through a mission (which you'll have to do if you aren't a chunk gamer).

The only other recent game I've played is Morrowind, and that would probably be too time-consuming for what you're after. It's got a fair number of FedEx quests, and it can be pretty difficult to interrupt the better (but longer) quests halfway through.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Oooh! This one looks cool!

Medal of Honor: Jagged Assault

Comment

Btw, I was the one who voted "Other" - I wanted the results to show when I clicked on the thread, so...

Comment

GTA3. Simple, but with loads of replay value
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Morrowind. Great game, looks great, completely customizeable, and already has a ton of amazing mods released for it.
            "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Just pick up some titles from the bargain bin and donate the remaining money you reserved to a local charity of your choice (no, that doesn't include yourself or the local pub ).

If it really has to deal with gaming, make a donation to www.freeciv.org

It will be well spent.
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

GTA3. Very fun, and it seems to fit all the things you're looking for. And if you feel so inclined, you can even put a skin of me on the main character .

Comment

I haven't tried Space HoRSE yet, but if it is anything like M.U.L.E., it will be a sleeper hit.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Don't... go... near... AvP2... unless your into blowing your money for a game you'll bore quickly at.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I can tell which one not to get: Links

C'mon??!@

Comment

Pay my utilities!
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Max Payne would be a good choice for slow-motion shooting larfs.

It's not a very long game, but it has some smashing action sequences and decent, 'gritty' graphics. And no multiplayer.

It's the sort of game you'll come back to every six months or so, to complete again.

Comment

GTAIII.

Good eye candy and lots and lots of fun!

EDIT: wow, this is one of the most one-sided polls I've ever seen here.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                              EDIT: wow, this is one of the most one-sided polls I've ever seen here.

More one-sided then the "Who's your fav mod" poll where everyone voted to shoot themselves?
                              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                              X