• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sten Sture
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    Sten,

IIRC, that wasn't the way the game is set up
    Right you are, the Sierra site FAQ had a work around for a WIN98 SE software problem. Mucho thanks. I have it fired up and running. It is a good late-night-don't-have- to-think-too-much-wind-down game.

Leave a comment:

• loinburger
    replied
    Well I'll be damned, it's free at the underdogs. I always forget about that site.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Not even on abandonware sites?

Leave a comment:

• loinburger
    replied
    I actually liked the original LOTR much more, micromanagement problems and archaic graphics be damned. I doubt I'd be able to find a copy anywhere, though.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Disciples sucked really bad so I didn't bother to get the sequel. AoW is a lot better. LotR 2 is worth, hm, $5? Maybe $10 if you are generous.

Leave a comment:

• Drew Dude
    replied
    So is this game worth getting. I do like turn based games rather than RTS - just played HOMM4 and Dsciplies 2. There is also Age of Wonders 2 which has got some good reviews. I thought I also saw Lords of the Realm 3 was in development?

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Sten,

IIRC, that wasn't the way the game is set up

Leave a comment:

• Sarxis
    replied
    Originally posted by Sten Sture
    can anyone confirm that the game CD was set up that way?
    Hmm... I don't think mine works that way.

Leave a comment:

• HeHe
    replied
    LOTR II

I have that game. Haven't played it in ages. From what I remember archers beat anything. Attacking just put them behind a river and wait till the enemy almost closes with them and retreat. Repeat till you wittle them down to 0. Some random battlefields worked better than others.

The advanced options were cool. Fallow fields and starving the enemy out. The AI was absolutely terrible though and my search for internet competition turned up nil.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by loinburger
    (I always kept a few Crossbowmen in my Archers and Pikemen army, just in case the other guy had Knights.)
    Have no fear, your archers will always defeat computer-controlled knights.

Leave a comment:

• Sten Sture
    replied
    I have the Siege pack and I thought that it did have a few interesting castles to storm. If it is in a bin for $6 I'd buy it in lieu of going to a movie that will be on TV soon... other than that - not much worthwhile on it.

My copy of LotRealmII is locked on the CD, I think. It was one of those that could only be loaded once from the CD without unloading some special files from your PC, so when I crashed an old hard drive, it went into statis. At least that is what I assume - can anyone confirm that the game CD was set up that way?

Leave a comment:

• loinburger
    replied
    Knights. They're faster and they can take quite a pounding from the Archers, whereas the Macemen will fall like wheat. (I always kept a few Crossbowmen in my Archers and Pikemen army, just in case the other guy had Knights.) You can wipe out an all-Archer army with a much smaller force of Knights, especially if there's any ground cover (since Archer's can't shoot through trees).

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by loinburger
    Ah, okay, sounds like a pretty useless add-on.

UR: Knights still have their uses, i.e. by being able to hack through a large group of archers, as do crossbowmen for their speed at taking out siege weapons. The rest of the army units aren't very helpful, which is no different than LOTR.
    What's better against archers - macemen or knights?

Leave a comment:

• Sarxis
    replied
    I have the siege pack: useless add-on.

Leave a comment:

• PCRefugee
    replied
    I had Lords of the Realm 2 and the siege pack(I loaned it out and never got it back). From what I remember, the siege pack just added more countries in which to base the game, a few new castles and not much else. I bought a budget copy of LOR2 a little while back (to replace my unreturned copy). It didn't have the siege pack and I didn't really miss it that much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X