Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oman warns against non-essential travel to U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oman warns against non-essential travel to U.S.

MUSCAT, Oman (Reuters) --The Persian Gulf Arab state of Oman warned its citizens on Tuesday against non-essential travel to the United States because they may be offended by fingerprinting and interviews introduced as part of new anti-terror measures.

"Due to these measures, citizens may be subjected to discriminatory and inappropriate treatment. They are advised not to travel to the United States unless necessary," the foreign ministry said in a statement carried by the news agency ONA.

The ministry said Oman, a close U.S. ally, understood the security concerns of the U.S. government.

Under U.S. anti-terrorism rules introduced after the September 11, 2001, suicide attacks, males from some countries who are over 16 and visiting the United States must report to immigration to be fingerprinted, photographed and interviewed.

The list of those countries now includes more than 20 Arab and Muslim states and North Korea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Methinks this is Oman giving the finger to the US and saying, "Nyah, Nyah, we can warn our tourists as well! I think the US tourism industry will be severely hurt by the lack of Omani tourists!
    Copyright 2003 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    sue me Reuters!
    To us, it is the BEAST.

or they could have some knowledge of an impending attack and are warning against travelling here.

Comment

I don't think that losing Oman's tourist business will have enough of an impact on the US economy to affect the policy of profiling some foreigners.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

O, man, I was afraid this would happen.
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

what? small countries saying stupid things for attention

Comment

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper

Thats so stupid its funny. Odd how humor is sometimes like that.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

that was so stupid it wasn't funny. ok maybe a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                  ok maybe a little.
                  Come to the dark side
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

In a related story:

Because of the sudden US withdrawl syndrome, thousands flock to Oman's single McDonalds' restaurant to get that American flavor!
                    Attached Files
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

where the hell do you find a picture like that???
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        In a related story:

Because of the sudden US withdrawl syndrome, thousands flock to Oman's single McDonalds' restaurant to get that American flavor!
                        Mmmmm... rat meat. How American.

Comment

I gotcha, Diss! I gotcha! Yes! The master of humor strikes again!

Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                          X