Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midnight Express continued: 64th person dies in Turkey's «white cells» prisons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Express continued: 64th person dies in Turkey's «white cells» prisons.

Turkey - Another Turkish prisoner has died on a hunger strike, raising the death toll in the protest against Turkey's maximum security prisons to 64 people, a prisoner support group said Sunday.

Ozlem Turk, 27, starved to death Saturday after fasting for 471 days, the group Ozgur Tayad said. The hunger strikers take vitamins and sugared water to prolong their fast. Human rights groups allege the protesters are also force-fed.

Turk had been imprisoned for membership in the Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front, or DHKP-C, a banned Marxist group, Ozgur Tayad said. Due to deteriorating health, she was transferred in August to the Ankara hospital where she died.

Leftist prisoners and their supporters began the fast in October 2000 in protest of the government's policy of moving prisoners from large wards housing up to 100 people to one- or three-inmate cells.

The government says that the large wards grew out of control and became virtual training camps for militants. But inmates say the smaller cells leave them isolated and vulnerable to abuse by guards.

Ozgur Tayad said 16 prisoners and two others are pressing forward with the protest.

The DHKP-C, which is leading the strike, has claimed responsibility for a number of assassinations and bombings since the 1970s.

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 29, 2020, 17:53.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Third world prisons must be pure hell. I even feel sorry for a scourge of the earth, commies. Nobody should be treated like that.

Except child molesters and rapists...murderers...
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

We have two inmate cells here...what exactly is the problem?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Story makes me hungry.

BTW, fooker, I am very close to getting banned.

Comment

I saw a document about that situation. It was ironic, there were special forces outside this house, and in the house were people who were also in hunger strike, showing solidarity to prisoners, mostly ex-prisoners though. Anyway, they pretty much shot them, because they threatened to kill themselves with starvation. They pretty much attacked the house and shot everyone.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I'm not about to understate the utter horribleness of Turkish prisons, but how exactly should they be held responsible for the death of prisoners in a hunger strike, who were starving themselves of their own volition?

And, as a related issue, it is clear that the armed overthrow of a government is a crime in any state, including enlightened ones like Greece. So where do you draw the line between actually overthrowing the government, and being part of a group that advocates the armed overthrow of the government? Being part of a political party clearly cannot be a crime, but conspiracy to overthrow the government is. When does one become the other?
              I refute it thus!
              "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Re: Midnight Express continued: 64th person dies in Turkey's «white cells» prisons.

Originally posted by paiktis22

Ozlem Turk, 27, starved to death Saturday after fasting for 471 days, the group Ozgur Tayad said. The hunger strikers take vitamins and sugared water to prolong their fast. Human rights groups allege the protesters are also force-fed.

So you're objecting to the authorities allowing him to starve to death? Or to the force-feeding to stop him from starving?
                Which is it?

Comment

These guys are a threat to subway!
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

It doesn't matter. Paiktis, like many Greeks, has a deep and abiding hatred for Turkey. He's only posting this because the story criticizes Turkey.
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      These guys are a threat to subway!
                      You have Jared in Finland? Man you all have been Coca-colonized. Just tell Colon to note the convergence evidence.

Comment

Jared? Hmm.. I don't know what that is. But yeah sure, we are Coca-colonized pretty badly . What is Jared? If it's good food, I hope they come here fast.
                        In da butt.

Comment

Subway is a franchised sandwich store. I work at one. They're okay as far as fast food goes, but nothing special.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I know what subway is, we have subway too .
                            I was thinking about what Jared is..
                            In da butt.

Comment

I think he's the guy in their current spate of ads. Lost a hundred kilo's or so eating subways IIRC.

He's probably not good eating though Pekka.

Comment

Working...
                              X