No announcement yet.

SciFi Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Duncan writes nice light sci-fi, very fluffy but fun.

Some I would recommend are "Strings", "Hero", and "West of January".
    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

If you're into alternative history and/or history in general, don't miss Robert Sobel's "For Want Of A Nail". It's an AH masterpiece.
      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

A writer that isn´t exactly Sci-fi (or any other genre for that matter...) ís Jeff Noon. He´s written a handful of books that are among the best I´ve read!
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I didn't like childhood's end for the same reason. I didn't even read the last chapter, I was so angry.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

The Hope series by David Feintuch are pretty good. The interesting twist is that the starships of this universe have really strict discipline, unlike the casual affairs that are the norm of the genre.

Essentially it's a naval yarn set in space.

I would also recommend 'First and Last Men'. Written in the twenties, but still very enjoyable.

Comment

so you will not read that which disturbs your view of the world?

That is sad (I disagreed with Chlidhood's end, but thought it a good book and one which brought up some interesting points, ones which should be considered)

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

so you will not read that which disturbs your view of the world?
                That is hardly the same as disiking Childhoods End a book. Science Fiction isn't going to effect many peoples world view anyway. That is more in the realm of books that deal with fact.

Comment

That is the whole point of reading SciFi (And Fantasy). The point is to see new ideas and reflections of reality that don't lend to standard fiction. I can't imagine why you would read SciFi or Fantasy if not to see new ideas and concepts (which effect your world view).

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I read it for entertainment. You need to work on your imagination. People have a lot of reasons for doing things.

Thats a fact that might change your world view.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
                      ... Science Fiction isn't going to effect many peoples world view anyway. That is more in the realm of books that deal with fact.
                      I heartily disagree. Your suggestion that only books that deal with fact are likely to effect people's world views in some way excludes all works of fiction, whether SciFi or not.

I don't think dealing with fact is even that big an issue - it seems far more important that the work deal with ideas.
                      What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Ever tried China Melville? It isn't really sci-fi, but it is good anyway

Comment

yes, I like him

I am a big fan of Perdido Station

I plan on purchasing Scar (once I get money)

and sure I will change my request to Speculative Fiction (which includes fantasy) rather than just SciFi

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Echinda
                            I heartily disagree. Your suggestion that only books that deal with fact are likely to effect people's world views in some way excludes all works of fiction, whether SciFi or not.

I don't think dealing with fact is even that big an issue - it seems far more important that the work deal with ideas.
                            And that I agree with.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Echinda
                              Since Childhood's End was the cause of this line I was primarily speaking about Science Fiction and for that matter Fantasy. Ideas based on fictional worlds are rarely, at best, a good reason for a paradigm shift. I know the some young impressionable minds have been tragicaly warped by Ayn Rand's fiction but that is not quite the case for Childhood's End which dealt with fictional science, fictional species and artificial human behaviour intended to support the story line.

I think far more people have changed their thinking by learning about evolutionary biology than have been changed by reading about things that don't exist. The key with Science Fiction is that its not dealing with the real world. It does deal with ideas but often the ideas are based on what would happen IF. Basing your ideas on the writing of Robert Heinlein for instance is to base your ideas on stuff he made up. Humans are much more sociable than Heinlein portrays us.

I just tend to think that ideas based on facts have much more substance than ideas dealing with fictional worlds. Especialy that vile ending of Childhood's End. Shove your book Arthur. The destruction of all life on Earth is not a good thing and I am not going to pretend it is for the sake of a story.

Comment

Working...
                              X