Issues concerning gays -- part XXXVVV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

As I mentioned, the legal rights accorded to a married couple don't work with more than two people. They can certainly form marriage-like contracts, but marriage as we do it isn't possible between more than two people.
    There are no impediments, outside of pre-existing religious bias, to multi-member marriages. From the states perspective marriage is essentially a contract and contracts between more than two people are obviously commonplace.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• There are no impediments, outside of pre-existing religious bias, to multi-member marriages. From the states perspective marriage is essentially a contract and contracts between more than two people are obviously commonplace.

The marriage contract involves certain exclusive rights.

Comment

There are no impediments, outside of pre-existing religious bias, to multi-member marriages. From the states perspective marriage is essentially a contract and contracts between more than two people are obviously commonplace.

The marriage contract involves certain exclusive rights.
        Such as?
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

• As I mentioned before, the right to determine what happens to the deceased's body. That's just an example.

Comment

As I mentioned before, the right to determine what happens to the deceased's body. That's just an example.
            That is not an exclusive 'right'. Children, parents, and other family members often interfere. Where there is dispute the courts can decide matters of polygamous marriages just as they can decide other family matters.

Comment

• That is not an exclusive 'right'. Children, parents, and other family members often interfere. Where there is dispute the courts can decide matters of polygamous marriages just as they can decide other family matters.

Here's another, then: custody of children. How does that work out if, say, a guy has several wives, and he dies? What if the wives aren't married to each other? Etc. It just makes things incredibly complicated. If they want to write up a contract detailing all of that, they can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo
                No it isn't. This is very much about love and committment. Say if Asher and his boyfriend want to get married, they should have that right.
                We've been engaged for months.

I'm going to invite Ben Kenobi to the wedding when we have it (which won't be any time soon, due to monetary and social circumstance). I'll even pay for his plane ticket so he can see what true love is like.

Marriage is about love, not a vehicle for procreation exclusively.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• If Ben doesn't come, I wouldn't mind you inviting me at your wedding

(gotta love a free ticket to Canada )
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• It costs more to fly from France to Calgary than Vancouver to Calgary, alas.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Here's another, then: custody of children. How does that work out if, say, a guy has several wives, and he dies? What if the wives aren't married to each other? Etc. It just makes things incredibly complicated. If they want to write up a contract detailing all of that, they can.
                      No more complicated that divy-ing up an estate with no will or deciding custody in a divorce. Legalizing polygamy is simply a matter of deciding to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

We've been engaged for months.

I'm going to invite Ben Kenobi to the wedding when we have it (which won't be any time soon, due to monetary and social circumstance). I'll even pay for his plane ticket so he can see what true love is like.

Marriage is about love, not a vehicle for procreation exclusively.
                        Aww.. I'm really happy for you. Believe me I am happy. Yes invite BK.. maybe his mind will be opened.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• I was busy for only about three days, packing my stuff in my apartment, cleaning, and doing errands and this thread has exploded in the meantime.

Sometime soon after I move back, I will see if I have time to read the posts, and then reply to some of them.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• MrFun, I read a few pages of Giancarlo v. Wiglaf, with occasional insights from Sava. For your own good: leave this thread and never come back. It's been Wisafezzed.

-Arrian

edit: there ya go, Savita
                            Last edited by Arrian; December 17, 2004, 16:37.
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Arrian: Don't forget my important contributions!

edit: w00t!
                              Last edited by Sava; December 17, 2004, 16:44.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
                                No more complicated that divy-ing up an estate with no will or deciding custody in a divorce.
                                In a divorce, there are exactly three people who can get the kids - the mom, dad, or State. With polygamy, there can be MANY more parties than there are people involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X