Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NLRB: Grad students in private universities lose the right to unionize!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    You might want to tell science departments the world over that RAships and TAships are rare opportunities, because every grad student's got one....
    Actually, already addressed. Just one more bit of evidence that Ted hasn't the faintest idea what he's talking about, but is rather just blowing a lot of hot air.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      No, but the primary purpose of graduate research is working towards one's graduate degree (even if the research isn't directly related to your thesis, that is why you're doing it).
      No, the primary purpose is to get paid.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• So you guys wouldn't mind if these positions were opened up to non students?
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Boris, if you'll excuse me I've got about 300 other posts in this thread to respond to.

Plus you're breaking my streak.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• They are open to nonstudents. That's what post-docs do
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
              So you guys wouldn't mind if these positions were opened up to non students?
              Find me a non-student with a bachelor's degree in physics willing to work 20 hours a week for 15k a year pre-taxes.

Average starting salary for a BSc in physics is 55k, by the way.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So you guys wouldn't mind if these positions were opened up to non students?
                They don't want to hire nonstudents, because to get qualified people to do what TAs do, they'd have to pay a LOT more money and offer things like benefits.

Have you actually put any thought into this?
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Cool. So we can just hire a bunch of postdocs to do all that crucial work that is so desparatley needed.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc
                    Yes you are. I paid to be tought by a professor, not you.
                    The professors don't mark stuff. I do.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cool. So we can just hire a bunch of postdocs to do all that crucial work that is so desparatley needed.
                      Sure. Postdocs get paid more than twice as much as we do, BTW.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• [q]Cool. So we can just hire a bunch of postdocs to do all that crucial work that is so desparatley needed./q]

Sure, if you can find enough that'll accept the piss-poor wages grad students are paid.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

• Well which one is it guys?

If they are so hard to come by why the need of a union?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident

I'm talking about starting from the bottom. You can't expect to have everything. The kids are greedy and want money. that's all it comes down to. You'd think its enough their rich parents are putting them through grad school.
                            My parents are rich?

My parents are putting me through school?

That's odd, because I was under the impression that my parents weren't giving me money or paying my bills. I guess I was wrong.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I've never said that they're hard to come by, that was your bald assertion.

As for the need:
                              "To bargain over wages, working conditions, health care, administrative practices, etc., etc. The same reasons any other group of workers would need a union for."
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Well which one is it guys?

If they are so hard to come by why the need of a union?
                                Because students are willing to put up with a lot of **** since it's temporary. But it doesn't mean that me performing service in exchange for pay isn't work. And it doesn't mean that I shouldn't have the right to unionise my fellow TAs and RAs.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X