Musical instruments thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seconded (as you well know) . It gets a little manic after 3 pages
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I love the Moonlight, but only the first and third movements. I've never ever been able to play the second movement - it's just too difficult getting those wonky slurs correct.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Play the dampener pedel... mines an electric piano so I don't know how that would work, but you can make more dodgy transitions on mine and it sounds reasonable

Big hands help!
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Recorders and crumhorns,
          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

I don't have big hands...

I've got a big mouth though. Does that make me a good pink oboist?
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

That's more about understanding the instrument.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Voice, and just enough piano to let me plink out an unfamiliar tune.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I don't have big hands...

I've got a big mouth though. Does that make me a good pink oboist?
                  Lets jam!

Comment

Pet peeve alert

Originally posted by elijah
                    Play the dampener pedel...
                    A dampener pedal does what exactly?

It's as bad as Star Trek (TNG and following) with all their blah-blah field dampening. "Damp" means reduce in amplitude; "dampen" means moisten.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

On a piano, you get two or three pedals. (grands have 3). The one on the right is the sustainer, that holds the note. The dampener has the opposite effect, it dampens the note.

Can't remember what the middle one does on a grand

Comment

I've heard that the middle one reduces the sound of all keys except for the highest four octaves or so.

I've never needed to use the dampener pedal in my life. Maybe it's because of my fingering techniques.

[/crude innuendo]
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

[crude innuendo has elijah chuckling]

Thats kinda cool! I like ad libbing flourishes at the end of pieces, which of course means high octave .

My grandmother is currently attempting moonlight's 1st on the piano next to me. I'll never leave my scores out again!

Comment

Damp_en_er would make it wet

Originally posted by elijah
                            On a piano, you get two or three pedals. (grands have 3). The one on the right is the sustainer, that holds the note. The dampener has the opposite effect, it dampens the note.

Can't remember what the middle one does on a grand
                            Damper, damper, damper! Not dampener, Dammit!

Music Interpretation and Performance Practice QA

What does "senza sordino" mean in Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata?

This notation at the beginning of the first movement has always caused confusion. Does it mean with pedal or without? Short answer: with pedal.

Sordino means "a mute," as in the dampers which rest on the piano strings. To cancel their effect, mutes are raised by depressing the damper pedal…

What does the middle pedal on my piano do? Notes 36
                            1. On some pianos (usually grands and large uprights), it serves as a selective damper or sostenuto pedal…
                            2. On other pianos, the middle pedal is a bass damper pedal, and sustains all the bass notes you play while holding it down.
                            3. On still others, it acts as a soft pedal, moving the hammers closer to the strings so they cannot strike with as much force.
                            4. On still others, it activates a strip of mute felt inside the piano, lowering it between the hammers and strings to make the sound very soft.
                            5. Finally, the middle pedal is sometimes only decorative…
                            Almost as bad as people who say "nucular"
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Dampular.

Comment

Dhampir
                                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                                X