Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catholics don't believe that.
    Fundamentalism:

1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs

2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles

Now, Catholics can't be a Fundamentalist in the first sense, but in the second, the practicing Catholics who adhere faithfully to Catholic teachings would count as Fundamentalist Catholics.

Secondly, have you ever heard of Evangelical Catholic churches? They tend to put greater emphasis on the bible, than most other Catholic churches. Would these be considered fundamentalist?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Right -- I'm not claiming that all Catholics by virtue of their denomination are fundamentalists.

I'm saying that all religious denominations -- WITHIN the denomination -- have small groups of fundies that do not fit in the mainstream of that denomination's pratice of religion.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Catholics can't be fundamentalists. So far as I know, they have to pay to maintain their churches.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

they have to pay to maintain their churches.
          Elok, am I being particularly obtuse today? I'm not understanding any of your points.

What does tithing have anything to do with whether someone is Fundamentalist or not?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Look at the full name of the site we're on...it's a dumb joke, but it's a joke.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Look at the full name of the site we're on...it's a dumb joke, but it's a joke.

I am tired.

Comment

Update.

The controversy continues.

Apparently blacks can boycott organisations that oppress blacks, but Catholics cannot do the same.

Intolerance marks furore over church, credit union
                It's time to chill the passion sparked by same-sex debate

Vancouver Sun

Thursday, October 02, 2003

If there were ever a time for cooler heads, this is it. The Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver's decision to sever its partnership with the VanCity credit union has produced an almost unbelievable amount of controversy and, from a few hotheads, an appalling threat of violence.

The Sun has received hundreds of letters on the subject, and the archdiocese reports receiving an equal number of telephone calls and e-mails, including ones linking Archbishop Adam Exner with fascism and Nazism.

That's bad enough, but Vancouver police are now investigating complaints that the archbishop was threatened by an angry crowd of protesters outside his window late at night. Police are also investigating eight bomb threats made last week against VanCity. Although it's not clear the bomb threats were made as a result of the controversy, police are suspicious because they occurred just after The Sun reported the church's decision.

The threats against the archbishop and VanCity are appalling, though it's likely they were made by the lunatic fringe who just can't accept anyone who disputes their views.

We encourage the police to rigorously pursue the culprits and hold them to account for their attempts to silence by force those with whom they disagree.

Aside from the actions of the lunatic fringe, the vitriol expressed by many more reasonable people is also troubling. Certainly, people have the right to express their dissatisfaction -- though not to make threats -- with the church or with VanCity. But both the church and VanCity also have the right to decide with whom they want to deal.

In a four-page letter published by The Sun, the archbishop explained that the archdiocese severed ties with VanCity because the credit union's support of gay causes conflicted with the church's mission.

In so doing, the church was fully within its rights. In a democracy, the right to boycott companies you object to is as fundamental as the right to free expression. In fact, boycotting is an element of free expression.

And boycotting is a two-way street: The Catholic church is a voluntary organization, and people who object to the church's teachings can choose to leave it or refuse to patronize it in any way.

So VanCity has every right to support gay causes or to market to any group it wishes. Groups that, like the church, object to VanCity's politics have the right to boycott the credit union; those who agree with VanCity may make an extra effort to offer their support or open an account there.

That should, and in most cases would, be the end of it. But the overly emotional response to the church's decision suggests that it isn't really about that decision at all.

Rather, the passions of people have been inflamed by the acrimonious debate about same-sex marriage.

Since marriage is an ancient legal and religious institution, any discussion about same-sex marriage is met with heated, passionate debate. One side believes a group of people is being denied a fundamental human right, while the other believes precious institutions are being systematically dismantled.

The church waded into the debate when a Calgary bishop suggested that Prime Minister Jean Chretien was at risk of imperilling his immortal soul if he supports same-sex marriage. The bishop's words raised the ire of many, who argued he and the church should mind their own business.

But the Vancouver archdiocese's decision about who it will partner with is fundamentally different. It's the church's business. The archdiocese, and only the archdiocese, has the right to make that decision for itself.

People who support gay rights often characterize those on the other side as intolerant. But the response to the church's decision shows there's plenty of intolerance to go around.

It's time for both sides to show their opponents the tolerance and respect that everyone deserves in a democratic and civil society.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  Who says she gets to touch?
                  Where the hell is the fun in that?
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Where the hell is the fun in that?
                    I'd want to touch her too.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                      Yay for these particular Catholics being anal and stuck up.

Funniest. Post. Yet.

Comment

We need another Reformation. Thin out their ranks a bit.
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          Update.

The controversy continues.

Apparently blacks can boycott organisations that oppress blacks, but Catholics cannot do the same.

In what way is this bishop boycotting an organization that oppresses Catholics?
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Okay, oppress is a little strong. Tried to find a word that would fit the situation, and work for the analogy.

Comment

How about: all religions suck equally and should be cast aside.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X