Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmyh
    Population grows no matter what.

If you don't have enough food to feed the population, the death rate is higher, so you lose more population each turn than you gain.
    ah, okay- thanks.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
      If all Civ's go into war again, WW2 will begin; so you can have many WW's in one game.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Will the game have borders?
        Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

We have not touched on borders yet, but most likely we will, but borders will not be Civ3 style.

I have been thinking of the idea of implementing force (army) to hold and expand your borders, so its not your culture that expands the borders but your force. (and no there are no Jedi's in the game).

I have also thought that borders should only come when you reach a certain tech level and government level.
          be free

Comment

that's a good idea
            "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Assuming that you have rivers, can they terminate in lakes?

Can lakes act as coastal tiles in terms of allowing production of ports?

Comment

Not sure yet kinjiru.

And yes we are hoping to have rivers end at lakes.
                be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                  We have not touched on borders yet, but most likely we will, but borders will not be Civ3 style.

I have been thinking of the idea of implementing force (army) to hold and expand your borders, so its not your culture that expands the borders but your force. (and no there are no Jedi's in the game).

I have also thought that borders should only come when you reach a certain tech level and government level.

WOuld it be that units have to capture tiles to make it part of your territory then?
                  Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Not sure yet.

Maybe if you are on unclaimed land, you can claim all tiles in a 2 tile radius around the unit? But then to hold it you would have to leave that unit there (fortify) otherwise anyone else could take it.

Seems complicated to me, but it may introduce new strategies and make the player think more about what territory it wants to own. For example, maybe you can't do anything with the land unless you have claimed it first?
                    be free

Comment

Hey Snoopy, I was thinking about the idea of having eras be "fluid", as in dependent upon certain factors in the current game, like we had talked about in another thread.

If the idea were to work I think the data would be pulled the same way a histograph would gather data. If so, what would are the factors in the game that would allow this to happen? In other words, what are the main areas of play: Science, Military, Population, etc...?

Comment

Its actually quite deep, its something that would have to be worked out later in the game progression
                        be free

Comment

Sounds good. I was glad civ3 added resources but the way they did it sucked. One Iron mine supplying your vast empire? Horses? How can you lose horses?!

But the main thing im wondering is with food. It always annoyed me that one city could starve as its surrounded by hills or being attacked but you have a big surplus in your other cities. They can trade iron and wine BUT NOT FOOD!!!!??

I hope youve already thought of this but makes sense to ask.
                          Trying to build a Space Civ mod....

Comment

How can you lose horses? Easy. Famine, human encroachment, sport killing, etc....

Comment

How can you lose horses? Easy. Famine, human encroachment, sport killing, etc...
                              That's ridiculous. If horses went extinct, they'd get extinct worldwide or on a whole continent, not on the single spot in the world where you bred them. As for iron being a strategic resource, it's also somewhat ludicrous, since it's the most common metal on earth. Not to talk about saltpeter, which is something you usually have more problems getting rid of rather than finding... If you have many mines of iron and they produce a limited quantity each, then it would make more sense...
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

But global extinction is not what is being modelled in the game. If you civ only has access to a certain resource in a certain area, then that resource can be exhausted. This is entirely consistent with the real world.

Take a look at the American West. Once, buffalo herds were common in the western plains. And they were very much a strategic resource for the various tribes whom hunted them for food, shelter and trade.

Overhunting and encrochment wiped them out. They still exist here and there, but are certainly no longer available as a strategic resource. And that statement would be true even if there were herds of buffalo in say, southern Germany. The 'American' civ would not have access to them execpt through trade. Which is exactly how it works in the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X