• Show
Clear All

• Repistes
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mapfi
    replied
    Even though 2 or 3 months would allow more people to play the tourny I think it's a bad idea. The tournaments are also responsible for bringing some life into these pages, but in 2 or 3 months the thread will probably die. Furthermore we'd have to wait for the ranking a rather long time.
    If anybody needs more time he can always submit his game later for the unofficial ranking, can't he?

Leave a comment:

• Dread_Doomfist
    replied
    finished the game...just walk into the last city of the polynesians..don't remember the city-name yet..

GOTCHA!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Shadow
    replied
    A suggestion... (to Loc and others)

I've noticed a few people saying they can only play the MP or SP tournament. Why not just keep running the SP tournament (a fourth one), but make the timing over a 2 or 3 month period, that way more people may be able to fit in both MP and SP.
    Last edited by Shadow; August 25, 2002, 01:13.

Leave a comment:

• Maquiladora
    replied
    Oh ok then, i guess the more entries the better.

Leave a comment:

• HuangShang
    replied
    yo man i haven't beat it yet

but i guess its b/c i need to play more often

damn yo school'll start in 9 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Maquiladora
    replied
    Anyone still playing that hasnt posted a save game yet? i wanna get cracking on the next one while i have plenty of time
    Any decisions on the rules?

Leave a comment:

• Shadow
    replied
    Cheers Loc, I'll look into it.

Leave a comment:

• Locutus
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadow
    I'm running a P2 233, and I've turned of virtually everything I can turn off and still have the game functioning so it's 'fun'. My main problem is like you said, waiting for the AI to do its thing.
    Shadow, I've played CtP2 on a P200 for a long time and didn't have any problems, it ran fairly smoothly with regular maps and not too many AIs (no more than 8). If you have to wait 3 minutes around the year 1 AD, your system is far from optimal. How much memory do you have in your system? As you said yourself, you should clean up your PC. You don't need anything other than explorer and systray running in the background when playing CtP2, so you can close all other tasks with Ctrl-Alt-Del before starting the game. Also, make sure you have a fixed amount of Virtual Memory, that's a big resource-saver. The ideal amount of VM that you want differs per system but 3x the amount of regular memory is a good rule of thumb (on pre-XP versions of Windows: Control Panel -> System -> Performance -> Virtual Memory). Defrag and Scandisk (including a surface scan) your system (if you use the PC a lot, do this on a regular basis (well, not the surface scan but a regular Scandisk and Defrag). If you're familiar with PCs, you can gain a LOT of extra speed by messing with the BIOS settings, but only do this if you know what you're doing...

Leave a comment:

• Maquiladora
    replied
    Back on the subject of the next tournament, i dont mind SAP+goodmod again. Just as long as theres more AIs. Or if not, cradle 1.32. I dont know how much people have practiced with it though.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow
    replied
    That's interesting Maquiladora,

I'm running a P2 233, and I've turned of virtually everything I can turn off and still have the game functioning so it's 'fun'. My main problem is like you said, waiting for the AI to do its thing.

I'm in the process of 'decluttering' my system though, taking out a lot of memory resident things that don't need to be there, not when I'm playing CTP2 anyway.

I'll keep tinkering...

Martin, sounds like torture... [grin]

Leave a comment:

• Maquiladora
    replied
    Shadow have you turned all the bells and whistles off already on Ctp2? Like taking the "low end system" on install, turning off units animations, trade routes and maxing out unit speed etc. I like to have 'mouse scroll delay' "0" too.

Unless you mean specifically the AI civs taking 3 minutes for all its turns. I sometimes play CtP2 on a P166 and it doesnt take that long, even with 10 civs, huge map.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Gühmann
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadow
    Been tinkering with a few things, and it seems that with the mods used in the 3rd tournament I can't realistically play on anything bigger than a 'regular' size map. I end up with turns lasting 3 minutes or so before I reach the year '0'!
    I am trying currently to increase the performance of the slic files, but I it looks that the gain of performance won't be very high. I also found some bugs in the GM1_goods.slc. And now it is a new version of MG_ComImpsForAIs3.slc in the work.

By the way on my old 486er I it needed one and a half hour to to do a turn in Civ2. One hour to move all the settlers and caravans and the other units, to modify the city build queues and wait half an hour to wait for my computer that it had cycled trough all my cities. And what I got in the end as I was at the happy city founding: Too many cities. So that was the end of Civ2 for me.

-Martin

Leave a comment:

• Shadow
    replied
    Been tinkering with a few things, and it seems that with the mods used in the 3rd tournament I can't realistically play on anything bigger than a 'regular' size map. I end up with turns lasting 3 minutes or so before I reach the year '0'!

I think the fact that there was lots of water made it ok in the last tournament.

I'm working on ways to 'tweak' my system, but I won't be able to upgrade for at least a half year. If Loc picks a setup that I can't run properly it doesn't matter though, I'll just sit it out. I don't want to mess up things for you guys with better systems.

Cheers,
    Shadow

Leave a comment:

• ETB
    replied
    Originally posted by Maquiladora
    The quickest way in the tech tree to take a city like that, is to attack with ship of the line until all defenders are dead. Then unload any a combat ground unit into the empty city.
    I recall crashing every time I tried that in CtP. So that is not a problem for CtP2?! I'll have to remember that....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X