Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried-Psitalon
    replied
    You don't see why it's unbalancing? Well good on you. Perhaps it doesn't bother you that two civs will have vastly more gold to purchase from you; it bothers all the civs that don't want to engage on this activity. This isn't about speeding research, it's about a massive production and commerce boost, three different times, a whole lot easier than you can do it alone. Maybe you've missed the part where different leaders are required for each Golden Age?

I'm sorry I'm being too serious - I can just see a runaway train before it hits the station. If I want to commit a year or more to a game, I want to take the situation beforehand seriously, because MY fun requires my time not to be utterly wasted by exploits.

Don't try and take the high road when you get the most direct benefit from looking away from the problem. You choose to see it as a molehill, because you will be king of the mountain.

Leave a comment:

• UnOrthOdOx
    replied
    I have received a special request to reply to this thread with a team Mercenary position on this issue.

Team Mercenary would like the opportunity to make a Great Person Auction in this game. We have stated this from the beginning, and have not changed that stance based on the arguments made here.

Team Mercenary factored this possibility into the leader choice process when no fuss was made at our mentioning the idea long before leaders were decided.

That said, Team Mercenary will not complain about it's leader should the option no longer be viable.

Finally, Team Mercenary reserves the right to sell units if we so deem fit. We have never stated we are for rent only, and see no need to make such a comment as to close off another possible course of action for our team.

On a personal note:

I don't see the horrible unbalancing myself. Even assuming 2 teams coordinate GP: in the case of golden ages, each has spent the proper amount of GPP.

In the case of speeding research, it's no different than the teams using 'their' GP to speed 'their' research and then trading said research.

And my final personal note:

Allot of you guys are WAAAAAAYYYYY too serious for my taste. It detracts from the fun.

edit: I have been and will continue to watch the thread, but have no intention of participating further as I could honestly care less at this point. I think you all are making mountains of molehills. If you wish me to respond, address me or Team Mercenary specifically.

Leave a comment:

• Addled Platypus
    replied
    just remember units are for rent with Team Merc....should never be to sell

this should be stated clearly with all teams

Leave a comment:

• Fried-Psitalon
    replied
    Originally posted by notyoueither

GS and another team are two civs on a land mass. We make peace and not war.

GS aims GP cities for Scientists and Artists.

The other civ goes for Merchants and Priests.

It becomes very much easier to manage multiple GAs.

Three of them. Each. Plus one more for the odd GEng.
    This is exactly why GP gifting is a very bad idea. This WILL happen, and the teams that do it will finish 1-2 in the game. The teams that don't will be left behind.

We can either disallow GP gifting to block this strategy, or be absolutely certain that the situation will become "Do this or lose." It's not a strategy requiring massive commital of resources, and it has no downside other than the obvious trusting of your exchange partner, which you'd be stupid not to do.

Leave a comment:

• Krill
    replied
    The problem that GB states about one team existing to sell GP really does not exist to as great an extent as implied. Are Merc going to sell every GP they produce? For example, would team Merc sell a Great Artist to a team they were next to, only to see the great artist produce a great work in a border city between the teams? I would even go so far as to say Merc are interested in their survivalk, and that they would not sell anything that placed themeselves in jeopardy...

Will team Merc sell a Great scientist that is going to be used to speed research, for anything less than the beakers it is worth?

I think that even with merc in the game, the problems that could exist, effectively just boil down to the original problems, that if several teams cooperateed together, research and golden ages are going to be incredably easy to produce. And in my view, I can't see the golden ages itslef being the unbalancing act, it is the swapping of great people to speed tech...

Leave a comment:

• Metaliturtle
    replied
    what if there's stipulation that team mercenary cannot gift GPs? Rather they must use them to achieve their own goals (military tech/building units to sell)

Leave a comment:

• Addled Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BigFree
    The game allows it, for whatever reason. I think we should leave it the way it is.

took the words right out of my mouth

please gift one my way asap

Leave a comment:

• BigFree
    replied
    The game allows it, for whatever reason. I think we should leave it the way it is. It will add an interesting twist to the game as will may other issues that only human opponents/allies can bring to the table.

Leave a comment:

• Golden Bear
    replied
    I dislike it as potentially hugely unbalancing - but only with the situation of one team having stated that they exist only to sell things. I really do not like the concept of a civ raising GPs for the sole purpose of selling them to other civs. The rich get richer and the poor get the picher.

Sorry, but I am strongly opposed to this. Decide as you wish and I will succumb and be pleasant. But I don't like it.

GB

Leave a comment:

• Addled Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian
    I don't see why it should be disallowed.

-Arrian
    agreed

Leave a comment:

• Senethro
    replied
    Originally posted by Donegeal
    (we should have gone with Pangea...)
    QFT. Damn isolationist builders and landscape gardeners...

I'm in favour of GP gifting without limits, not that I expect it to be a common thing.

Leave a comment:

• Donegeal
    replied
    Hey... if you can politically wrangle out something of that magnitute, more power to you. That would be amazing...(we should have gone with Pangea...)

Leave a comment:

• notyoueither
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
    GS and another team are two civs on a land mass. We make peace and not war.

GS aims GP cities for Scientists and Artists.

The other civ goes for Merchants and Priests.

It becomes very much easier to manage multiple GAs.

Three of them. Each. Plus one more for the odd GEng.

Leave a comment:

• E_T
    replied
    I don't know enough, in that respect, to say one thing or another. Can someone go into more detail as to why one would want to do this? Maybe post a link to some strat thread or something that sheads more light on this?

E_T

Leave a comment:

• Arrian
    replied

-Arrian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X