No announcement yet.

Gathering Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.S. I'm applying for this team first since you've got DeepO and DeepO is godlike.
    Sorry, but that must be the worst reason to joining us

I'm serious, too. It doesn't matter that some of our members have a couple months more experience in the game. What is maybe more true in GS than in other teams, is that we used to discuss strategies into the ground.

However, there is also another side on this: whatever game us testers play, it is fed back to Firaxis, and somehow becomes a test game. My AU 100 game has fallen victim to this: it is is on hold indefinately until the next version I can use to finish it. That might be the next patch. The last era was far from perfect, but was used to test out some stuff. The same might happen with a demogame. Luckily we're not the only ones in that situation.

As to picking which leader we like: in private please. I've got some ideas on this as well, but this is one of the things that needs to be kept from the public to not give away too many strategies. The discussion on which leader to use will show what kind of game you want to play, and this 'business plan' if you like needs to be kept secret.

As to backstabbing: we made a point last game of playing honorable, it was kind of our selfimposed constraint to offset the 'ringer' status we were given. It didn't work out... most importantly as it was seen that none of us were particularly good in diplo. I don't see us doing the same, or boasting the same goals in game, however I don't see us swinging the other direction either: old members are still not the diplo wizzes some other teams had.

If you really look towards backstabbing, or in-depth diplo action and not that much about strategy in game, I can only suggest you give Beta's team a try. (with which I don't want to say they don't have strategy guys on their team, on the contrary even). Beta singlehandedly gets the reward for most devious diplo contacts in last game. He's also the least trustworthy person in negotiations

That said, if at all possible, I'd like our diplo core to be up to snuff this time around. But one can only dream, we'll see how it plays out with the availability of different members. Real life is the main opponent in a demogame.

DeepO

Comment

• Real life is the main opponent in a demogame.

Comment

• DeepO speaks truth!

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepO

...What is maybe more true in GS than in other teams, is that we used to discuss strategies into the ground.

... in private please. I've got some ideas on this as well, but this is one of the things that needs to be kept from the public to not give away too many strategies. The discussion on which leader to use will show what kind of game you want to play, and this 'business plan' if you like needs to be kept secret.

As to backstabbing: we made a point last game of playing honorable, it was kind of our selfimposed constraint to offset the 'ringer' status we were given. It didn't work out...

...we'll see how it plays out with the availability of different members. Real life is the main opponent in a demogame.

DeepO
          So true, so true. Real Life has kept me from doing much more than reading the thread....
          ....When will private forums be up? Wanna give some input too, but as you say, secrecy is essential, specially from ourselves :-)
          There is no dishonor in backstabing someone when it serves a purpose (I think), as long as you do it honorably :-P. Remember what Albert said...
          Im not that much of an experienced player, specially in DG, but you can count on my dedication once this thing gets going.
          "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
          Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
          Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
          Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

As to picking which leader we like: in private please.
            Erm, yes, quite right. Indiscretions edited.

Comment

• Korea, We have to be Korea goddamnit

Our H'Wacha will rule to World

You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

If you really look towards backstabbing, or in-depth diplo action and not that much about strategy in game, I can only suggest you give Beta's team a try. (with which I don't want to say they don't have strategy guys on their team, on the contrary even). Beta singlehandedly gets the reward for most devious diplo contacts in last game. He's also the least trustworthy person in negotiations
                Hey wait a sec, I can personally vouch for Beta's negotiation trustworthiness. Why in the Random- Random PBEM we were friendly neighbors....uhh right up until the point he backstabbed me. Hmm, maybe that wasn't such a good example.

You know what's funny about the last game though. Once the war with GS was over, Vox played the rest of the game totally straight. No devious diplo contacts from Beta.

By the way, if you want a backstabbing team, I can suggest a different one than GS or Sarantium (Beta's new team).

Comment

• Naw, I don't want to get impaled on Diplomacy instead of the Game.
                  Mainly because I'm not interested in a team that has a tea party when I'm spamming out "INVADE THE M*****F*****S!" and overtly trashtalking every living being in a 1000 millisecond radius.

Comment

• Just one comment on GS and diplomacy from the peanut gallery:

My beef has never been with the nature of your honor nor with the nature of your diplomacy.

The reason I always contested your diplomacy 'sucked' in the former game, more than anything else, was that is was approximately the speed of a single seed sprouting into a pinewood forest. Especially early in the game. It was not uncommon for a turn or several to pass in-game before receiving an answer from Gathering Storm. This, more than anything else, IMO contributed to the perception that GS and diplomacy did not mix. It really bordered on the ludicrous.

Later in the game GS diplomacy much improved, though I have a suspicion that was due more to loss of members than team policy.

I truly hope you guys improve on that part of your game.
                    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• How about adding a fourth gold bar to the icon?

Anybody able to do that?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Here, you can us it, for a price.
                        Attached Files
                        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Okay, I'll copy it and paste it into the Team List thread.

Comment

• Thanks, Uno.

Only problem with it is it is not transparent. Can anybody fix that?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• This should be transparent...
                              Attached Files
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Yay! Go with that one.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X